BMN 'pulling away' issue

DarkBunny

Reaction score
Calling all BMN owners...

I have an issue with my motor when pulling away (without revving). All diesels that I've driven in the past (and present) don't really require acceleration when pulling away (obviously driving gently and not trying to pull away at speed).

However mine doesn't - it shakes, splutters, then stalls.

I normally pull away while dabbing the accelerator, but sometimes don't as it'll pull away too quickly (driving in traffic or something like that).

Has anyone come across this, does anyone know of any issues that would cause it to conk out or pull away exceptionally harshly (jolting etc.)

Thanks

I think I've got the same problem as you buddy.

Struggle to get a smooth pull away in mine, and when trying to pull away gently there seems to be a sort of flat spot (only way I can think to explain it) and the shaking/spluttering you have described. I did put it down to my clutch and flywheel being on the way out but there hasn't been any improvement since I've changed both. I then put it down to the A3 having the electronic accelerator, as was driving my old golf recently (diesel, cable driven) and much smoother pull away. Although this shouldn't affect things surely?

Hopefully someone will be able to help is!

For a diesel engine, they are very easy to stall. My dads 1996 Rover 2.0TD is pretty much impossible to stall, it will set off pulling a car on a trailer just by lifting the clutch.

Has the car been subject to the injector recall? I'm not saying the injectors are the problem, but your description sounds like you have the original software on the car. It means the car can feel quite laggy below 1750rpm, then suddenly pickup. Usually with the injector change meant a software update was applied (my software version changed before and after), mainly to do with DPF regeneration but for me it seems to pick up better and driver better in general low down.

It could also be a grabby clutch problem and a combination of the above.

And yes when these engines stall, it sounds pretty aggressive, so that is normal.