Bluetooth connection beep

GeoffT

Reaction score
I am trying to rid my car of all beeps. I have VAGCOMed off the parking sensor confirmation beep when selecting reverse, now I want to stop the bluetooth connection beep.

I have done a search and found this earlier thread

clicky

I have done this but it doesn't seem to be a permanent change as the beep now seems as loud as ever.

The Ross tech Wiki for [77] telephone module shows
Adaptation

Bluetooth

[Select]
[77 - Telephone]
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel 133
[Read]
  • 0 = Bluetooth OFF
  • 1 = Bluetooth ON
[Test]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Hands Free Function

[Select]
[77 - Telephone]
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel 134
[Read]
  • 0 = Hands-free active while Bluetooth connection is active but without cell phone engaged
  • 1 = Hands-free only active with cell phone engaged
[Test]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]

Bluetooth Pass Key

[Select]
[77 - Telephone]
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel 135
[Read]
Set the 4-digit Bluetooth pass key using this channel.
[Test]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]

There is no mention of the Bluetooth confirmation beep. Is it possible that there are other adaptation channels for this module that are un-investigated or will this be the complete list and there is no way of stopping it?

I'm with you here, I hated that beep on my A3. Someone told me if you turn the volume down while the beep is on, its supposed to remember the setting. This never worked for me, every time I started up it would be loud again.

I hope you get it sorted.

Thats a common problem people often ask about the RNS-e. Me included.

I have tried turning the volume down when the boing is sounding and it does reduce the volume and it was remembered on my car so that the next time I got in the car it was still at a similarly lower volume.

Great I thought, a solution.

Sadly not, as reducing the bong also reduced all the telephone volume so now I can't hear the caller without turning the volume back up again, which, you guessed it, turns the boing volume back up.

I like your way of thinking about possibly being another channel to control the boing but the problem is that it is going to be very difficult to find which channel, if indeed there is a channel associated with this, and what value.

I would like to have a "play" with some other channels. Could I do any harm changing other channel numbers, providing I always made a note of the original settings to go back to?

Is there any logic in the channel numbers? i.e If the "known" adaptation channel numbers for the telephone module are 133,134 & 135? does that imply that there are channels 1-132 to be adjusted? Seems a lot of trial and error if they are.

The problem is, who knows what effect changing a channel will have?

I can't see how you would do any damage but don't come looking for me if you lock up your bluetooth or RNS-e and can't gain access to it again :)
Depends if you are prepared to risk it or not.

It might not even be the bluetooth that needs recoding? Could it be the RNS-e? The sound levels for various volumes are certainly stored in channels on the RNS-e.

You could probably go through all the channels and look for ones that have non zero values? These are obviously used for something, but what?

If it's an undocumented channel then you're on your own, but without people having the inclination and expertise to try these things, then I doubt we would have the SDS hack and VIM hacks that are not widely used by people to upgrade the units.

I reckon that if there is an on/off setting for the confirmation beep, it must be in the Telephone module. The volume of the beep/telephone conversation may be stored in the RNS-E, but surely it must be the Telephone module that sends the beep on connection.

I have received so much advice on here and Navplus.us that I feel it is time to give something back and this could be my chance.

Good idea of yours to look for non-zero values. If I change each one to zero and test for the beep, what can possibly go wrong !

I will have a go this weekend when I have enough spare time to try 132 options!

Good work Geoff, that beep makes my eye twitch sometimes....... Grrrrrr!

JohnS3 said:
Good work Geoff, that beep makes my eye twitch sometimes....... Grrrrrr!

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. To my mind a beep should be only for an abnormal situation, not simply "I've just connected your bluetooth as I do every time you get in the car" or "You've just selected reverse and you have parking sensors"

I don't need to be nagged by the car - I have a wife for that.

Reactions: RoryVXR
You are definitely not alone Geoff.

I'm sure if you do find a solution there will be a fair few who will thank you for it. My only reservation is that is it was as easy as changing an adaption channel then surely someone would have found this out by now. After all the RNS-e is fairly old in technology terms and is probably likely to be discontinued soon.

Personally I love the beeps. They tell me that everything is functioning correctly.

I'm an IT man, so the more beeps and LED's, the better!

I don't actually have a problem with the boing per say. It's just the way that it shouts Y O U R B L U E T O O T H D E V I C E I S C O N E C T E D at you every time you get in the car. Why does it have to be so loud?

marms said:
You are definitely not alone Geoff.

I'm sure if you do find a solution there will be a fair few who will thank you for it. My only reservation is that is it was as easy as changing an adaption channel then surely someone would have found this out by now. After all the RNS-e is fairly old in technology terms and is probably likely to be discontinued soon.

But this isn't really related to the RNS-E. I originally had the Symphony II+ and that had the same beep from the bluetooth as the RNS-E has. That is why I'm convinced that it the telephone module that produces the beep, and the RNS-E/Symphony whatever just "plays" it.

GeoffT said:
That is why I'm convinced that it the telephone module that produces the beep, and the RNS-E/Symphony whatever just "plays" it.
Correct - the beep is generated by the phone module. Some people have reported that if you turn the volume down while the beep is sounding then that lower volume will "stick" - others have said this doesn't work though.

Worth trying at least....

PetrolDave said:
Correct - the beep is generated by the phone module. Some people have reported that if you turn the volume down while the beep is sounding then that lower volume will "stick" - others have said this doesn't work though.

Worth trying at least....

I have tried that and it seems to adjust both the beep and the telephone conversation volume together.

OK, I've had an early finish today so have just had a bit of a look at the Telephone module options with VAGCOM.

I have found some more channels not mentioned on the Ross tech Wiki, some of which have help flags on VAGCOM and a couple that don't.

Here is a summary of the channels that are accessible for the telephone module:

Channel 0 - Reset to factory defaults
Saving a value of 0 resets to factory default

Channel 128 - Volume output (got excited when I saw that!!)
0 or 1. Mine was already set to 0 and changing to 1 made no difference to the connection beep volume

Channel 129 - After run Time
0-6. Mine was set to 6 - determines how long after ignition off phone plate/cradle stays active (0=30s 1=5min 2=10min 3=15min 4= 20min 5=25min 6=30min)

Channel 130 Delay Time
0-12. Mine was set to 3. Audio delay in ms (not sure exactly what this means)

Channel 131 Mic sensitivity
0-6. Mine was set to 0.

Channel 133 Bluetooth
0 or 1. 0=BT off 1=BT on

Channel 134 Handfree function
0 or 1. Handsfree via Bluetooth(0) or Phone cradle only(1)

Channel 135 BT passcode
0000-9999. 4 digit passcode for Bluetooth pairing

Channel 136 (No help file in VAGCOM)
Didn't test range of values. Mine was set to 89. Seemed unlikely to be beep volume so left well alone.

Channel 137 (No help file in VAGCOM)
0-10. Mine was set to 5. Tried changing to 0 but did not effect beep volume.

So we know a bit more, but it's looking increasingly likely that you have to live with the beep. :(

Well done Geoff. It was worth it as we now know it can't be turned off ;(