Bluetooth And iPod Integration

soulsurfer

Reaction score
Website
www.xdents.co.uk
Looking to buy a Black Edition, but strangely very few seem to have Bluetooth or iPod integration :-?
What are the after market or OEM solutions to these that looks like it should be there rather than trailing cables and things stuck to the dash? I'd like the iPod hidden away with full control and access to the music library, and Bluetooth to be controlled remotely with directory access. Prefer the OEM options or copies of, but open to suggestions, and more importantly, what costs are involved?

Many thanks

AMI retrofit kit is about £500 from Kufatec, pretty much plug and play with a bit of coding via vagcom. Not done my S3 yet, but took about an hour on my S5 as I has to switch whole glovebox!

Plenty of forum members who offer retrofitting services.

Not sure about Bluetooth, but you could check Kufatec website or just google audi retrofit for an idea of what's available and prices.

Plenty of options around. If you're looking for an OEM Bluetooth solution I'd go for Genuine OEM or the Fiscon kits. YOu're looking at around the £300 from retrofit companies for this.

iPod kits, as the above poster said, if you have the RNS-E sat nav then you can get the AMI which supports folder support etc. You're looking at around £400 here, and yes, the glovebox would need to be replaced if you haven't got a CD Changer (different compartment sizes).

Many thanks.
The Bluetooth option sounds simple enough, but what if its just a Concert or symphony head unit, what are the iPod options here?

You could get a dension kit, around £180, which would support text and folders on the concert (pretty sure it supports folders anyway?!).

You can also get the genuine audi ipod kit for around £60 which is basically a CD Changer emulator... no text or anything but it does charge the iphone and plays the music through the stereo and allows you to change tracks from radio etc.

Is the AMI the same size as the iPod controller? Was hoping this was a straight swap in the glove box. Basic iPod kit is about £180 at Kufatec!

That's not the same as mine, mine looks like this one
855_0.jpg

Thought it was a similar size to

1611_0.jpg

Ah, sorry mate didn't realise you had the surround for it. The top pic is exactly the same as the kit I posted on ebay but with the surround obviously looks a bit better from factory.

But yes, it is the same size as the AMI unit, so if you wanted to upgrade to the AMI you wouldn't need to change the glovebox.

Cheers. The £190 kit from Kufatec is the whole lot pictured there. Agree Kufatec isn't the cheapest but a good reference point!

Hmm, some of these options seem expensive, although I spoke to an Audi dealer today and they told me they could fit OEM iPod interface at around £240 and Bluetooth near £500 :shock: maybe I should hold out to buy a car with these already fitted? Could be a long wait :roll:

I had a desion ipod connection in my old car, basic, but worked well for five years or more, I alsosee that Denison now do Bluetooth as well, any thoughts?

I have a dension gateway pro which works well. I run a wire under the stereo to the ashtray where my iphone sits or I just keep it in my pocket and have it connect over bluetooth (although the sound quality isnt as good).

The only bug is that when you select next track there is a second pause, then the original song plays for another half a second and finally the next song is played. I imagine its a bug that can be fixed with a software update. At 170quid its neat and does the job well enough

Looking to buy a Black Edition, but strangely very few seem to have Bluetooth or iPod integration :-?

Bluetooth came as standard from 2011 i think on black editions m8 as I found out myself, before that it was a payed option. Terrible really on a car that price!

Bluetooth came as standard from 2011 i think on black editions m8 as I found out myself, before that it was a payed option. Terrible really on a car that price!

Yeah, but I guess we've all migrated from landlines in the last couple of years making mobiles part of our physical being :)

I've also not found a used Black Edition with RNSe, what I'd like is this, 2.0tdi 140 (flexible here maybe with, or w/o Quattro) Bluetooth and full iPod in Misano red, under £17k, very specific I know but surely not impossible :)

I've got the same unit as in post #8 and it charged my iPod but wouldn't find tracks or play it? Any ideas?

Dension gateway would work out cheaper and much better. Control the music from your head unit and see the song displayed on your DIS while charging the ipod/iphone. My dension is mounted behind the glove box and the wire is inside the glove box.

I've got the same unit as in post #8 and it charged my iPod but wouldn't find tracks or play it? Any ideas?

If it is a dock (top pic) then this is the older iPod integration and not AMI. Works by basically making your RNS-E see your iPod like a cd changer.

You need playlists set up on our iPod (IIRC), CDs one to five are then your first five playlists and Cd 6 is all tracks (or something like that!)

If it is a dock (top pic) then this is the older iPod integration and not AMI. Works by basically making your RNS-E see your iPod like a cd changer.You need playlists set up on our iPod (IIRC), CDs one to five are then your first five playlists and Cd 6 is all tracks (or something like that!)
Are you able to remove iPod, select and album or playlist and then plug it back in to play?

Are you able to remove iPod, select and album or playlist and then plug it back in to play?

Yes you can. Although you should note that for some reason it won't charge the iphone 3Gs. When I plug mine in it says charging not supported on the phone display

it won't charge the iphone 3Gs. When I plug mine in it says charging not supported on the phone display
This issue was created by apple when they stopped using FireWire (?), I had it with my Bose Sound Dock, the good news is you can get adapters, I use these...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366528907605229

If it is a dock (top pic) then this is the older iPod integration and not AMI. Works by basically making your RNS-E see your iPod like a cd changer.

You need playlists set up on our iPod (IIRC), CDs one to five are then your first five playlists and Cd 6 is all tracks (or something like that!)

It comes back as no cdc when I double tap the cd button :S

Yea, 2 or 3. Did wonder if coding was the problem. Have a friend with vcds so will check it out

So; it seems that without AMI the iPod functionality is extremely basic, however to fit AMI you do require RNS-E. You're looking at around £750 for this plus £500 for AMI (fitted), the glovebox may also require changing at extra cost and Bluetooth is at the £400 mark. It seems this would give a fantastic integrated system well worth saving up for although I did see someone on eBay offering AMI for Concert/Symphony head units, is this even possible?

AMI is only for rns-e mk2 units to get the integration via lcd, otherwise its pointless installing, if the audio path did work, it would only end up being same as the crappy older ipod changer interface.

I thought it might be eBay BS after our conversation ;-)
Does the basic iPod work any better with the LCD head unit or the same basic functions as with the Concert?

I thought it might be eBay BS after our conversation ;-)
Does the basic iPod work any better with the LCD head unit or the same basic functions as with the Concert?

Skip it & go for the better system if you want iphone/ipod integration, its far more useful, albeit expensive, but tbh when its in & working you'll see why it was worthwhile, hell of a lot better.

Skip it & go for the better system if you want iphone/ipod integration, its far more useful, albeit expensive, but tbh when its in & working you'll see why it was worthwhile, hell of a lot better.

Agreed, You get what you pay for, buy a proper one and get NHN to fit it or buy a car with it already factory fitted, it ain't cheap but its good.

Reactions: NHN