Bluefin Review (Superchips)

simon-s3

Reaction score
Well, I got the text on my mobile 25 mins after they opened today to say my software was ready to download. Went on to the internet and plugged my Bluefin in and downloaded it. I then went to my car and "uploaded" it (15 mins). I then warmed my car up to get the oil upto 85 degrees before testing it out. Even when cold I noticed before 3000RPM it was showing a little eagerness with the smallest bit of throttle. I am very cautious with cold engines. Just before I tell you about it, some other points to note. When you uploads the "Performance map" it does an ECU reset which also removes the code for "learning" on the DBW throttle so it will relearn your driving style. Also it is able to read error codes and you can clear them if you choose.

Right now down to the drive.
  • I immediately noticed the turbo whistle being a little louder (very nice too).
  • The turbo lag is almost non existant now.
  • Throttle responce is much sharper
  • When in 6th gear it feels like 5th or even 4th so it pulls like a train in 6th at 2800RPM upwards.
  • When launching, you don't need to abuse the clutch as much as standard to get away quickly, I was supprised here at how quickly the turbo came "on song" I found that 3000 rpm with a little bit of clutch slip to get you rolling with half throttle and then floor the throttle when clutch has fully engaged worked rather well.
  • Much more "push" into the seat under accelleration.
  • Every gear more responsive and the need to change down less often for overtaking etc. Even up a steep hill at 60 in 6th (flooring it) and is was off "like a rat up a drainpipe".
  • The car feels as I would have expected to to be in the 1st place now. Far more exciting to drive and rips though the first 3 gears in no time at all.
I then picked the "other half" up and filled the car up to the brim with petrol to see if it would be affected much by the extra weight. The other half was soooo impressed at the difference she wanted me to burn up people at traffic lights and then laughed at how we left them behind. She said it was a greater increase than she expected and was very fast and a massive difference to before. I must say I was impressed that with a passenger and a full tank it was still miles faster than me on my own with 1/4 tank before the remap.

I find the car so much more exciting to drive now and every time I squeeze the throttle it just wants to fly. I knew it would feel better and expected quite alot from the remap and it hasn't dissapointed me at all, infact it is better than I thought it would be.

Everything about my experience with Superchips has been great and the simplicity of the install as well as a reasonable short time to upload it (15 mins) has exceeded my expectations. It is also good to know they will update it again for "free" if Audi update the software in the ECU at anytime in the future.

I also have the ability to view and reset error codes and fully remove the map to immobilise the car too for security. This is a fantastic product and well worth the £450. I was well chuffed to know the upload would reset all the learned codes as you can't do that without VAG.COM otherwise :applaus:.

Cheers,

Si

Great stuff; sounds very worthwhile. I read a review of this map on the Golf Edition 30 and it seemed very good.
I had an Amd remap (oneclick) on my old 1.8T A4 and it transformed it (much like you say this has).
The sheer fact you can switch back means its so flexible. Interested to hear how the MPG goes as I found it better with the map!...

Can you elaborate on the DBW bit; I have not heard that 'learning' mode before.

Great stuff; sounds very worthwhile. I read a review of this map on the Golf Edition 30 and it seemed very good.
I had an Amd remap (oneclick) on my old 1.8T A4 and it transformed it (much like you say this has).
The sheer fact you can switch back means its so flexible. Interested to hear how the MPG goes as I found it better with the map!...

Can you elaborate on the DBW bit; I have not heard that 'learning' mode before.

DBW - "Drive by wire" the ecu stores settings with fuelling and timing on how aggressively you drive. If you clear these it will re learn them.

Sounds great mate, we just need some RR plots now?

It's a shame we can't have em all on the rollers at the same time?

We have

5-6 GIAC Hammer maps
3-4 Revos
1-2 Bluefins
1 APR+APR fuel pump

Decisions decisions?

p

Excellent news Simon - glad you're pleased with it. My Bluefin map has been on the car since it was at 150 miles - 5000 miles later and it still brings a grin to my face when I plant the accelerator - mind you probably not as big as grin as yours is, as mine will be slightly underpowered when compared to yours!

Sounds good, but its getting hard for me to decide between GIAC and Bluefin ! Both seem to have advantages and disadvantages.
Cant find the thread about the person that had both bluefin & GIAC, and the differance between them both. Ideally after a map that mimics the standard map as much as poss.

Richard

thanks for trying - but its an earlier one, I will have a better look later for it.
Like you not in a rush to get it mapped, fancy getting the reverse sensors fitted first, then possibly a remap.
Oh and might be sensible to get a few more miles on it, I've only done 1800 miles since getting it in Jan!
Richard

Lol, so the ecu puts you in heavy foot mode if you drive hard?. how long does the setting last?

In the past I have found making sure you get to drive it hard at least once a week will keep it running well. If you spend too many trips in slow traffic it starts to loose it a bit.

Excellent news Simon - glad you're pleased with it. My Bluefin map has been on the car since it was at 150 miles - 5000 miles later and it still brings a grin to my face when I plant the accelerator - mind you probably not as big as grin as yours is, as mine will be slightly underpowered when compared to yours!

Mine should be 310 BHP now and I don't think it will be far away from that either, it was a big difference from standard. Mine had just clocked 8000 miles when I installed it.

When I had my 2005 Subaru Imprezza mapped from 265BHP to 305 BHP it was a similar difference to this map, so very pleased overall

Glad your happy with the Bluefin, i was very disappointed with mine and only realised how much when i got the GIAC remap, i could hardly feel much difference in power with the bluefin compared to GIAC.

The bluefin has the edge over the GIAC handset as it saves each map individually, but in terms of power i feel that GIAC wipes the floor with bluefin, just my opinion.....

Im tempted, very tempted.

But can i ask; you state that the T lag is "almost none exisitant". This intruiges me.

When exactly is the turbo kicking in now? I havnet rad any literature but from driving im guessing 2.5k rpm?

Thing is, round town i dont rev the nacks off it and like change down early. But a side effect of that is, if i need to move quickly in a situation... it looks embarrassing. *chug chug*

More low down power would be my order of the day ^^

Glad your happy with the Bluefin, i was very disappointed with mine and only realised how much when i got the GIAC remap, i could hardly feel much difference in power with the bluefin compared to GIAC.

The bluefin has the edge over the GIAC handset as it saves each map individually, but in terms of power i feel that GIAC wipes the floor with bluefin, just my opinion.....

I am supprised, did you contact them to seeif they could review your map again as they do offer that service if you are unhappy ?

Also is your S3 the new one or the old one ?

I read the a review recently on the Golf GTI Turbo and the S3 tested on the same day and they said the S3 map was brilliant too.

I definately feel a big difference and have had cars mapped in the past with far less improvement that this one, so to be for £450 it was a bargin. Sorry your experience was dampened, I was temped with the Giac 310 or 330 too.

Im tempted, very tempted.

But can i ask; you state that the T lag is "almost none exisitant". This intruiges me.

When exactly is the turbo kicking in now? I havnet rad any literature but from driving im guessing 2.5k rpm?

Thing is, round town i dont rev the nacks off it and like change down early. But a side effect of that is, if i need to move quickly in a situation... it looks embarrassing. *chug chug*

More low down power would be my order of the day ^^

The torque lower down is improved and the turbo seems to spool up faster so when is comes in it has a kick to it now. On changing gear the power is there straight away without that slight "pause". Also if you are cruising and apply a slight throttle movement, it instantly pulls.

I hope this answers your question.

You've definitely got me seriously tempted now - feel the credit card burning a hole in my pocket - thanks for the detailed write-up!

Go for it !!! they offer a 7 day money back guarantee anyway, so what more could you ask for ?

Hi Simon

Do you have a mail adress to the man on superchips you have your contact with.I have tried now for 2 days on their sales info mail at superchip but no one has mail me back??

Same for me, emailed them and no response!!

I phoned them up and went through to Technical support.

I did use the email link for a question and got an email back the same day too.

Try this phone number : 01280 816781

Give them a ring mate on the number above and ask them to ring you back!

p

Just thought I would give you all a quick update now I have been running for just over 200 miles. Seems to have settled in now and is a totally different car. Torque low down is much improved and comes in earlier. Much more driveabe without thrashing it too and it is still fast even then.

I still can't get over how eager it feels all the time and looking forward to every opportunity to floor it. When the turbo kicks in you really feel it now, as it just pushes you back into the seat straight away.

I have noticed the exhaust sounds nicer too and a little louder, which I like. The turbo also sounds a little louder and if you crack the windows open it sounds fantastic.

Nice to hear that, i'm also very happy with my Superchips remap although it's slightly different than yours. Last weekend i took my S3 to a drag strip and it was faster than a BMW M6, a modded E46 M3 or a +350 bhp EVO9 (maybe i'll start a new topic and post some movies).

Nice to hear that, i'm also very happy with my Superchips remap although it's slightly different than yours. Last weekend i took my S3 to a drag strip and it was faster than a BMW M6, a modded E46 M3 or a +350 bhp EVO9 (maybe i'll start a new topic and post some movies).

Get em up mate , allways nice to see are cars doing well! what mods and power are you running?:ninja:

p

Nope, the fuel pump is standard but now it has reached its limits :)
For more power an uprated fuel pump would be needed, but so far only APR has developed one and i don't know anyone who tested it and since it is not cheap i don't want to be the first one :)

Later i will upload the movies ;)