1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue/white smoke

steady jay Sep 8, 2012

1. steady jay

steady jay Member

This f**king car is begging to annoy me now.
    Just finished work started the car up fine no problem. Go to pull away on the main road and filled it with blue/white smoke. Hasn't done it since.

2. Av4nt

Av4nt Well-Known Member Team V10 Team Sprint Audi S6 quattro s tronic saloon

Checked your EGR valve lately? Could be sticking open/closed.

3. steady jay

steady jay Member

Should've mentioned its 1999 1.8t

4. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

White smoke is normally coolant/oil related and blue tends to be more fuel related ?? possibly just leaky valve stem seals !

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

had it been idling for a long time?

Could be valve stem seals if so.

6. steady jay

steady jay Member

Yeah was waiting for a mate to walk out of work too so probably 5-10 minutes, what options do I have to sort the stem seals?

Cheers jay

7. steady jay

steady jay Member

Little update/research it hasn't kicked out any smoke since last Saturday been told to check under oil cap while it's running for excess pressure and it has a lot of pressure. Which could hopefully rule out stem seals? And possibly something much easier.

8. jcb

jcb Active Member

really?

Blue - Oil
    white - Water/Steam
    Black - Fuel (i.e too much of it)

at least that is what I always went by

9. jcb

jcb Active Member

I am no AA mechanic but you have to ask yourself where that pressure is coming from?
    usually pressurised header tank and smokey exhaust is an immediate check for head gasket trouble.

overheated recently, run low on coolant?

10. steady jay

steady jay Member

Nope not overheated once, coolant is fine too. As it hasn't done it before or after that 1 occasion it's hard to pinpoint so unless it happens again I'm not going to worry too much.

I'll try to get my hands on vagcom and see if that comes up with anything.

11. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Get a sniff test on tge coolant bottle to check for hydracarbons this will be an indication of the head gasket.

12. Turbo unit

Turbo unit Member

possible slighty worn turbo seals! Happend to my s4 blue/white smoke didnt do it again for a few weeks then 1 completely just gave up this was a bout a year ago and they had done over 100k so due a change any way