1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue Thunder S4 Engine Pull - The Movie!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Blue_Thunder, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Active Member

[Nov 28, 2013]
    Yes, yes, i'm a sad individual. I decided to document the novice DIY engine pull process for those who are interested in an easy to digest format.

This is my third engine pull. It was far quicker than the previous two jobs, and only the second worst one in terms of damage caused (I forgot to unclip the coolant hoses from the gallery at the back and one hose cracked - at least I don't need it anymore! :)). But other than that, it was a very successful engine pull. And I must say, I actually enjoyed this one. I wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

Anyway.... On to our feature presentation.

It seems crazy to me that garages are charging over 10 hours for this work... here's a clip of me showing you how to do it in under 2 minutes!

Blue Thunder Engine Pull - The Movie! - YouTube

ps. Apologies for the very dark bit in the middle - I used one of those big halogen work lights when it went dark, which was perfect for helping me see what I was doing. I hadn't considered that the clever camera would adjust it's ISO setting based on the now crazy illuminated wall next to the light.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    spartacus 68 and ScottD3 like this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

[Nov 28, 2013]
    That's a great video! How long did the whole job take you then?

Seems a shame to break an s4, it always brings a tear to my eye. What have you replaced it with? I seem to remember reading your original breaking thread, but can't remember ha.

Thanks for the video!
  4. Blue_Thunder

[Nov 28, 2013]
    The engine pull itself took around 7 hours I think. I started sunday afternoon after 3 hours sleep. Then had it out by Monday lunchtime. I thought that would be the biggest part out of the way. I was still working on the bugger on Friday, and still gone back to.the carcass to salvage other parts.

I'd say it's easily taken 30+ hours on my own, although some tasks took longer than they needed to, eg: I spent over half a day trying to carefully remove the wiring loom in one piece... before throwing a wobbler and chopping it into teeny tiny pieces! Then I must have spent an hour trying to get the exhaust off. And loads of other curve balls.

Not a task for the faint hearted!
  5. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

[Nov 28, 2013]
    Cracking video.
    Loved it.

I like a bit of time laps video.

I'm with Crazy on the braking, it is a shame to brake it but needs must I guess.

What's next?
  6. Blue_Thunder

[Nov 28, 2013]
    New Thunder!
  7. crazy88

8. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

[Nov 28, 2013]
    I was thinking more of taking car apart timelapse.

S4 thunder?
  9. Blue_Thunder

[Nov 28, 2013]
    There wasn't a point really. The rest of the stuff stripped off was either underneath or inside, so the shell looks pretty much the same from that camera angle now as it did at the end of the clip.

New car is actually a bog standard S4 as a stop gap to a boring family car. In two minds whether I should leave it as is or fit the bits to get this one up to 400+ as well. Doubt it would be as much of a beast as Blue Thunder (don't be fooled by my avatar, that was a long time ago) was though.
  10. crazy88

[Nov 28, 2013]
    A boring family car.....get a cheap 1.9tdi avant for a boring family car (it's what my wife has) and have a play car for you! I have a 1.8t, but next will be an s4 I think. But not for a while.