1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue smoke on start

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by silentwitness, Nov 30, 2005.

1. silentwitness

silentwitness New Member

Hi

I've got a 98 1.9 TDI A6 Avant. I've noticed that when it's been left overnight, the following morning it will run quite rough and emit blue smoke for a couple of seconds. It's the only time it does it. It smokes a bit of black smoke under full acceleration, but I think that's normal?

Any advice appreciated!!!

Cheers
  2. moschino

moschino Member

As the mornings are quite cold, it could be your Glow Plugs. My 98 TDi does this, only for about a second until the 4 cylinders start to fire correctly. You could check the Glow Plugs by removing the +ve connector at the end of the Plug and connect an Ohm meter. Should read about 1 Ohm approx. If you have one that is much higher them replace it.
    As far as the Black Smoke under full acceleration, this is normal for a '98 Diesel. Check the other posts out, I believe people recommend cleaning the EGR pipes as they can get clogged.
    I f I am wrong, I'm sure someone will post the correct reasons.
    Regards,
    Jim.
  3. imported_kris_tdi

imported_kris_tdi Guest

you always get black smoke on diesels

as for the comment on glow plugs i agree.

its probably only one of them.

remove them one by one
    using 2 bits of wire, attach to the car battery, the end should glow red in about 2 seconds, if one takes longer or doesnt heat up then it needs changing.
    you would be supprised the difference it makes changing a malfunctioning glow plug.