1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown intercooler

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by BRILLO, Jun 3, 2013.

1. BRILLO

BRILLO Member

[Jun 3, 2013]
    As per previous threads. Was on
    my way to my mates to clean my turbo vanes with mr muscle and went into limp mode/low power. I was a bit grumpy and held it at 3000 rpm for a few seconds and it blew the bottom off the drivers side intercooler Went with a lovely sounding bang. Is this normal when boost limit is exceeded. Didn't think there would be much pressure in there. 😡
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

[Jun 3, 2013]
    I have two spare S3 intercoolers spare if they will help?
  4. BRILLO

BRILLO Member

[Jun 3, 2013]
    Cheers Shaun. Are they the same size. Can only find n/s ones on e bay. Surely not a common thing. Is it? Have tiger sealed it back together and will fit tomorrow night and clean turbo. Here's hoping.
  5. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

[Jun 3, 2013]
    I have no idea, just thought I would let you know I have some if they eill fit.

It sounds as though something has become blocked and built up pressure within the system, causing it to travel to its weakest point and blow the intercooler. Although I could be wrong....
    BRILLO likes this.
  6. BRILLO

BRILLO Member

[Jun 4, 2013]
    Well put the intercooler back in tonight after mr muscle in the turbo. Left for a few hours. Freed the vanes up nicely although I don't think they were to sticky. Drove around for a bit 2000 rpm till it warmed then 3500 rpm gear changes got about a mile and it blew the bottom of the intercooler again. I even put a jubilee clip round it to stop it blowing off. Anyone any ideas. Should there be pressure in there?
  7. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Active Member

[Jun 4, 2013]
    Yes there should be pressure there as it's part of the intake system...intake air delivered under pressure from the turbo.

I would take off all the intake pipe sections, intercooler, egr and intake manifold and check for any blockages (I'd be surprised). When checked all is clear, log specified vs actual boost pressure using VCDS. It could be your MAP has begun to under-read, leading to an overboost and thus shown up a weak intercooler housing.
    BRILLO likes this.
  8. BRILLO

BRILLO Member

[Jun 4, 2013]
    Cheers for the reply. Have my egr deleted( but only at the front don't know if that matters ) and fitted new AUDI map sensor 2 weeks ago. Seems to be worse since then actually. Been blowing air back into air box as well. Will repair intercooler again and drive to garage I think for scan. It's ok all day at 2000 rpm. Doing my head in. 😡😡
  9. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Active Member

[Jun 4, 2013]
    EGR delete at the front???

Also, I'm assuming it's a diesel, going of the revs you mention?
  10. BRILLO

BRILLO Member

[Jun 5, 2013]
    Yeh.its 2.5 tdi b6. Have only put blanking plate at rad end. Not sure if you need to blank both ends?
  11. audilad9

audilad9 Member

[Jun 5, 2013]
    Ratchet strap round intercooler works well as a temporary bodge :) 2 blanking plates required for EGR removal if you remove the pipe.
  12. bradh

bradh Active Member

[Jun 5, 2013]
    Check the clip that holds pipes onto the cooler are not knackard if it helps I have a Passat tdi cooler witch could be the same but I think it's more cooler pipe / clip issue
    BRILLO likes this.