Blowing from somewhere

Speedy Steve

Reaction score
I can hear blowing from somewhere its deffinatly cat forward which i have thought i heard for a while but lately i have noticed a loss in boost. The strange part is if i pull hard through the gears it boosts fine but if im sitting at 3000 rpm and floor it its very flat. Its not a load blowing and doesnt seam to scream when on boost infact i hardly notice it when im in the car apart from the lack of power. From this i guess its the manifold but how much of a nightmare are they to get off? Im thinkin i may take it to Midland VW as i have read so much good about them but if its something i could do i would rather.

Anybody had anything like this before?

i presume you will be loosing a bit of back pressure as its leaking so will effect your acceleration when hitting the pedal to the metal! tbh if your get it done proffesionally at least you have a warenty!

Thats it thought when i hit it hard it seams fine its when im gentle that i seam to have a lack of power

inthat case its because when accelerating hard the pressure will be strong so will not loose much over a small whole because it will be blowing over the top of it but when you drive slowly there is less pressure so you will loose more power as it is not strong enough to clear the whole.
i have never done a audi exhaust before but have done many others so presume its the same. if you undo the middle section and drop the backbox so you just have the cat and middle section also it helps to drop it out any rubber mounts but make sure you hold the exhaust up with something otherwise it could bend. once you got the back box off undo the bolts on the manifold and also at the end of the section blowing ( cat it hink you said) as the back box is off it should be quite simple to pop the downpipe off.

Ok i was driving back from work today and it just felt like a 1.8 i could still hear the turbo spool and the diverter valve but no real feel of boost effect. The strange part to me is The DIS is still saying ill get around 430 miles to a tank but this is light foot driving at 75-80 mostly on motorways. Im starting to worry about what it could be and how much it will cost.