****** annpoying LED light prob, please help!

Irish EK

Reaction score
i previously had LED lights installed in the numberplate and never had a problem. i then had DIS installed and started getting the bulb out warning so replaced the bulbs with LED canbus bulbs from t8ups off here. i still got the bulb out warning and on advice from t8ups, bought and had two resistors soldered to the bulbs holders. and im STILL getting the ****** warning. does anyone have any ideas what it could be?! when i turn on the car and lights, the dash beeps at me several times in a row. its like it realises theres a problem, beeps, thinks its ok, then realises theres a problem and beeps again. this repeats several times. then all is ok and it dosent read a fault anymore?! could it be the bulbs, the holders or will adding another resistor help?

i also got the similar warning with the parking lights with DIS so also bought these canbus LED bulbs from t8ups. the left parking light is ok, but i am continually getting the right parking bulb error, but only if the car is started from cold. i will start the car in the morning and get the error and the light will not be on. turn the lights off and back on and it will be ok.

i am getting so annoyed with this that i am just thinking about taking DIS out again....

Alrite mate, what resistance and power rating resistors are you using ?

You need to see how much current the LED lights are drawing compare it to the original bulbs and then get a resistor to suit. I used some 47 Ohm 10w resistors from maplins, mounted them on a nice heat sink and the problem has gone....

10 Watt Wirewound Resistor : High Power Wirewound : Maplin Electronics

Alrite mate, what resistance and power rating resistors are you using ?

You need to see how much current the LED lights are drawing compare it to the original bulbs and then get a resistor to suit. I used some 47 Ohm 10w resistors from maplins, mounted them on a nice heat sink and the problem has gone....

10 Watt Wirewound Resistor : High Power Wirewound : Maplin Electronics

to be honest krumz i dont have a clue. i was dealing with t8ups here and just installed the resistors he sent me but am still getting the error. he comes highly recommended here so i trust he sent me the right resistor.

having done a bit more research into this problem, it seems the numberplate bulb out error is an extremely common problem on the b7. people on this forum seemed to have had luck with these numberplate and sidelight bulbs for no errors, what do ye think?!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

AUDI A4 B7 (05-08) Number Plate LED Light Replace OEM | eBay

Yep, they work. No errors but now one of my screws is knackered so I keep getting an error because the holder is loose.

I've just started getting right bulb out errors as well. Start the car, error, turn it off and start again and it's fine. ..checked bulbs and they're fine.. .this is with standard bulbs in.

Yep, they work. No errors but now one of my screws is knackered so I keep getting an error because the holder is loose.

I've just started getting right bulb out errors as well. Start the car, error, turn it off and start again and it's fine. ..checked bulbs and they're fine.. .this is with standard bulbs in.

I take it you have the listed numberplate lights then razza?! Have you ever had an issue or dash error with them? Would you recommend them?! Im just abit wary on spending 30 pounds on something unless i know it will work. And i have always had the right bulb error, even when they were brand new. I might ring the company mylitco tomorrow and see what they say! Thanks!

Ek,
We ordered two sets of led number plate lights of eBay from Germany which supposedly do not give the error in the dash, my mate had no problem in his 04 a3 but I kept on getting an error code in my 06 a4 cab,

We know the original bulbs are rated at 5watts each and power = voltage / current

So each bulb draws 0.4 amps

What you need to do is measure how many amps the new lights draw and then is size a resistor to dissipate the additional power

Let me know if you need any help on doing this

yes, bought the units, were pricey but work well, it's just the screw that's giving me the issue at the moment as its not pushing it against the connector enough...audi don;t sell the screws seperately though so trying to find some from somewhere...

Ek,
We ordered two sets of led number plate lights of eBay from Germany which supposedly do not give the error in the dash, my mate had no problem in his 04 a3 but I kept on getting an error code in my 06 a4 cab,

We know the original bulbs are rated at 5watts each and power = voltage / current

So each bulb draws 0.4 amps

What you need to do is measure how many amps the new lights draw and then is size a resistor to dissipate the additional power

Let me know if you need any help on doing this

DIS is driver information system, a system visible from the dash that has the trip computer and also tells you if there are bulbs out in the car and if your washer fuid level is low. its operated through the wiper stalk. my car didnt have it before so it wasnt telling me there was an issue with any LED's which was great. i only decided to get it fitted as i was retro-fitting cruise control and a mfsw and DIS was only an extra couple of pounds for the stalk. now i do have it the thing is constantly beeping at me so i want and need to get this sorted!

im gonna give the solid LED bulb holder a go first Krumz as i dont have access to multimeters etc, and hopefully it will work, but if it doesnt i will be in touch with you regards judging which resistors to go for. thanks!

yes, bought the units, were pricey but work well, it's just the screw that's giving me the issue at the moment as its not pushing it against the connector enough...audi don;t sell the screws seperately though so trying to find some from somewhere...

cheers razza, i know they are pricey but if it stops the car beeping at me i dont really mind! its good to know someone has bought them and they work though. and ya i had the same issue with the original audi screws on the holders and had to drill one of them out. i took the other one to my local diy place and got the same size screw in a self tapping variant. works a treat and there a lot more durable!

Bearing in mind how many problems they seem to give with DIS, and the lengths people appear to have to go to fix them, what is the benefit of LED number plate lights? What do they actually achieve beyond, presumably, a change of appearance?

Last edited:
personally i don't see that point of numberplate LEDs they shine the number plate recess up way to much, just looks like a glare