****** alarm started going at 230am!!

jcb

Reaction score
not a full lights blazing horn alarm.
some pissy little beepy thing out of the rear quarter somewhere
stopped when I opened the car with the key fob but even went off when the car was open (unalarmed)

don;t think I was too popular with the neighbours this morning!!
any ideas?

battery backup for the alarm horn probably

Vagcom say anything?

The batteries fail over time and stop holding a charge, which makes it go off.

Hmm. That's where my alarm sounds from usually... Was messing around with the sensetivity button and one windy night, it sounded like the road runner was getting chased around my yard... meep meep meep!! Bit of a pathetic alarm if you ask me....
..the other time I locked the car with the dog in it (at night, windows down of course!) and she set the alarm off, poor thing! Just about lying there with her paws over here ears. Must be louder inside the car....
Is there supposed to be a full on alarm siren or something with the B5's?

You live your dog in your car overnight?

The horn-type alarm is standard on German cars. Full siren ones are illegal in Germany, the alarm can't be above a certain decibel level.

will VAGcom it, but the battery answer sounds plausable.
will be the original and 10 years is a long time.

where is it?

the right hand rear panel? how far down, there is something buried in foam, thought that was a pump of some description.

have all sorts of crap in there in my car will have to dig around

erm, nearside is the left hand side mate, ;)

The foam thing you saw is the central locking pump

The horn is on the other side of the car, kinda up and to the right of the hatch.

well that is what I thought, but I have a CD changer and other stuff in there so I couldn't picture it in there?

Its the horn back up battery I am after, is that there too?

its inside the siren unit itself.

Audi dont sell them seperately, however there are some guides around detailing how to fit alternate batteries.

maplin should have something

aye, think one howto used a couple of laptop CMOS batteries connected together, and the other used an external battery box, and 6 AA NiCd's

Saw a thread only the other day on one of the forums, trying to remember which.

You live your dog in your car overnight?

The horn-type alarm is standard on German cars. Full siren ones are illegal in Germany, the alarm can't be above a certain decibel level.

Na, was in seeing a mate. Don't like having her around smoke. :drag:

right, got this sorted!

booster box for alarm is in the bottom of the RIGHT hand rear cubby in an a4 1.8qts avant.
nicely concealed by a false floor under the central locking pump. will post some pics of what I have done but the long and the short of it is the batteries were leaking and corroded.
duly replaced with some honking great rechargeables in nice pod.

sorted

the culprit being opened
IMAGE_004.jpg

festering guts
IMAGE_005.jpg

poxy 3v button batteries
IMAGE_006-1.jpg

honking great 2400Mah recharcheables in box attached to the unit and sealed.
IMG_19341.jpg

teh button batteries are 3.2v so you need 4 AA's of as high a output as possible for longer lasting backup

hopefully I won;t find out at 2am!!

i have some of the maplin batteries spare I bought them as I thought mine was faulty turned out they were not. happy to pass them on at a discount

Doesn't ****** work!!! fecking thing started going again about 4 hours after I plugged the new box back in.
its sitting on my desk now and I think that is where it will stay!!

think about the fuel consumption I will gain from reducing the weight!

We had exactly the same problem on our 2003 passat estate. I used Vagcom and found that after locking the car the rear hatch was changing to open on the measuring blocks. We had a local garage check the lock mech out and found that the rear wash wipe assembly had a crack in it, and everytime we parked the car on the drive which is down hill it was leaking into the lock mech and shorting it out, effectivly opening the door and then the alarm would go off. Dunno if this will help.

makes sense as my wiper has a bit of a mind of its own. does a stop start routine when I wipe the back window.

will investigate