1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocking of EGR

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by S1MON A3, Oct 24, 2010.

1. S1MON A3

S1MON A3 Member

[Oct 24, 2010]
    Just been speaking to a friend about making a plate up to block of the egr pipe coming from the exhaust, would this cause any problems? The butterfly flap and the rest of the egr will still be working as normal just wish no exhaust fumes going through it.
    I cant see the point in spending £60 when Im pretty sure this will do the same job.

Doing it this way might eliminate the engine light coming on as your not messing the vacume and flap its self.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. navnayyar

navnayyar Member

[Oct 25, 2010]
    Yes you can block the pipe to the manifold with a blankng plate, but this will still bring a warning light on. You will need to get the egr function mapped out. If your interested pm and il point u in the direction were i got mine from
  4. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

[Oct 25, 2010]

ECU's will monitor for exhaust pressure/temp ! To much to little = light on. (to much to little !!!!!!! i could be a song writer)
  5. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

[Oct 25, 2010]
    Is it possible to map out the light with VAGCOM?
  6. S1MON A3

S1MON A3 Member

[Oct 26, 2010]
    lol.

I'll get this blanked off when I get a chance and see what happens, might have a word with the R-tech guys and see if they can get the light mapped out.
  7. S1MON A3

S1MON A3 Member

[Nov 5, 2010]
    Update date on this guys :)

I made a plate and blocked the exhaust gases going into the EGR and then I blocked the vacume pipe to stop the butterfly flap opening and closing. It litterly took 20 mins anyone can do it.
    The technician at R-tech then disabled the EGR function and got rid of the engine light for me.
    If anyone is thinking of doing it this way it saves you around £50 no need to buy EGR delete kit.
  8. navnayyar

navnayyar Member

[Nov 5, 2010]
    But you still have an obstructive air flow with the egr still on :p
  9. S1MON A3

S1MON A3 Member

[Nov 5, 2010]
    yeh far one lol gona get the inlet manifold off and get all that crappy carbon out then gonna get a milltek down pipe :D and see if I get any more power gains should see a few bhp.
    Still on the standard clutch :p too lol
  10. navnayyar

navnayyar Member

[Nov 5, 2010]
    Not really unless your running a bigger turbo. Gains will be small with standard turbo, maybe a sound improvement?
  11. Dean's A3

Dean's A3 TDI S3 Hybrid

[Nov 5, 2010]
    I must say I'm a novice with engine mods, would someone plse explain what's the purpose of blocking the EGR in relation to why the manufacturer installed it in the first place?
  12. navnayyar

navnayyar Member

[Nov 6, 2010]
    It reduces NO in exhaust smoke by recirculating some exhaust smoke back in the engine, especially when engine is warming up.