Bleeding Brakes A3

marcsnoz

Reaction score
This weekend i set out to put all new disc's and pads all round on my 1.9Tdi A3.
I stupidly got the piston on one of the rear brakes to fall out allowing a lot of fluid to disappear and air to get into the system.

I've manged to get all the caliper back together and all the new disc's and pads on i then set about bleeding the system, but my brakes are still not working correctly.

i've heard that you have to have the ignition on. Is this correct?

can anyone help? instrutions would be nice

thanks
marc

Hey marc, how does your pedal feel with the brakes not bled?? I recently had my front discs and pads replaced, but the brake pedal still feels spongy, I've driven approx. 6k kms on them, so I'm pretty sure they're bedded in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread (Honest) just thought you could help.

Thx,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Drill doesnt hijack threads... especially with the new 'thread hijack police' monitoring his every post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Anyway back to the point, seeinga su have introsuced air into ur brake system its gonna be a bitch to get out effectively. The first thing to do would be to get a friend to depress the brake pedal as u bleed the brakes. Making sure u follow the correct sequence. U do know it dont u ? Make sure u DO NOT let the level of brake fluid in th reservoir drop below minimum otherwise ur screwed.
After successfully bleeding all the brakes check pedal feel and if its ok then so be it.
Provided ur ABS or brake light hasnt come on u will be ok. If it has then u will need a dealer or a vag com tool to pulsate the ABS pump in order to remove the air trapped in the pump.
If u manage to bleed the brakes successfully using the 2 man method, make sure u perform an ABS test on a quiet street. This is a MUST.
Another thing which i use instead of having 2 people is the Gunsons Ezee Bleed kit which uses pressure from ur spare tyre to force clean fluid into the brake system.
Let us know how u get on.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
Mohsin

Drill
The brakes don't work at all. there very spongy. nearly put my foot through the floor.
doesn't sound like you've got the smae problem as me althrough you could have a little air in the system.

marc

Mohsin

i've tried bleeding the brake the old fashioned way like you explained.
not 100% sure of the procedure.
i think it may have something to do with the ABS system.

marc

Drill ur welcome !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Snozy... Is ur ABS light on ??

Snozy, If ur gonna buy thr ezee bleed kit which i am assuming that u are going to do, then no u dont need the ignition on at all.

Get it to the dealer, I say and let them bleed the system for you, plus you can get them to change the fluid at the same time.

Good point Gambba, brake fluid should be changed a minimum of every 24months, however if you use the car for trackdays etc. It is reccomended you change it every year.

The fluid degrades as moisture enters the system and so your braking power becomes less and less. It should be carried out as addtional work at the service intervals and there are special pages towards the back of your service record for fluid changes.

Hi fellas,

All sorted i actually put enough fluid through the system to get all the old stuff out.

What i had to do was bleed the master cyclinder and also bleed at the caliper's.

I also done it with the engine running some of the time and with the ingition on in order to keep the ABS valves open.

Was going to take the car to audi but couldn't get it there. plus there gave me some bullsh*t about it taking 4hrs to do!!

anyway all sorted and i'm back on the road!!

cheers for all your help guys

Snozy