Black ticking container

anderswhk

Reaction score
The black container is ticking like a mofo. Has for a long time. What's it for?

DSCN0453

Also: This connector of sorts wont attach properly. What's it for, and what sorts of issues could i be looking at? It's behind the coolant expansion tank (not sure if thats the right word in english) It attaches to it, just doesn't "lock in".

DSCN0456

1.8T AUM

I take it this system is in no way connected to the turbo boost system? Ive been writing on here for about a year with the same boost issues. I am pulling my hair out soon.

I take it this system is in no way connected to the turbo boost system? Ive been writing on here for about a year with the same boost issues. I am pulling my hair out soon.

Not directly no... a leak in the pipe could potentially cause a boost leak though depending where it is but have only ever seen issues with EVAP when the owners have bodged PCV deletes or tried to change all the pipes to silicon to dress up and messed up the check valves as a result

<tuffty/>

Guess i am replacing the sensor in the intercooler next. I plan on getting a front mount this summer anyway. Only delte ive done is the N249 delete, and i didnt even remove the entire system, just the black box on the top of the valve cover, then added a direct feed instead. Actually got the advice from in here. Didnt help tho, but didnt drive any worse either.

Last edited:
EVAP, its the charcoal canister... part of the emissions control system

Can this be removed/deleted at all?

Like the SAI can be or is it completely necessary in our cars for it to comply with emissions etc.

Can this be removed/deleted at all?

Like the SAI can be or is it completely necessary in our cars for it to comply with emissions etc.

No advantage in doing so realistically... I removed mine to use the space for my fuel filter else I would have kept it...

<tuffty/>

No advantage in doing so realistically... I removed mine to use the space for my fuel filter else I would have kept it...

<tuffty/>

I really should have a proper read through your build thread- I didn't know you had relocated your fuel filter to where the carbon cannister thing went.

Well tbh it's one less thing that ticks under an already loud bonnet. I was also looking to replace my washer bottle and the coolant bottles and that black cannister thing in between them just looks and sounds rubbish!

Would it quiet simply be a case of taking it the cannister out and T piping the hoses up?

I really should have a proper read through your build thread- I didn't know you had relocated your fuel filter to where the carbon cannister thing went.

Well tbh it's one less thing that ticks under an already loud bonnet. I was also looking to replace my washer bottle and the coolant bottles and that black cannister thing in between them just looks and sounds rubbish!

Would it quiet simply be a case of taking it the cannister out and T piping the hoses up?

It also needs mapping out. I removed mine because it was broken and its cheaper to remove than replace.

I also removed the feed to it, right back to the tank (assuming any fuel vapour was safer under the car than in the engine bay), but doing this causes fuel to spill onto the floor if you fill the tank to the brim