1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black square on wing mirrors

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Itguy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    I've noticed on some S3 (and maybe on others?) wing mirrors that there is a black square on the inner edge.

Is this on all mirror variants or is it for something specific like the blind spot warning or something?

If you don't have blind spot warning is the black square still there? Just looks a bit ugly!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

[Nov 7, 2013]
    it's the side assist
  4. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    Ahh - so as I've not ordered side assist I presume I won't get the black square?
  5. M_D_O_London

M_D_O_London Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    That's correct. If you've ordered the Audi Side-Assist system, those small black squares are on the inside of the wing mirrors will be present and have a series of LEDs which illuminate / flash if there is someone in your blindspot.

If you have not ordered these, the wing mirror caps do not feature the squares.

Hope this clarifies!
  6. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    I don't know whether the squares are there or not on a car without Side Assist (eg, all cars have the button pieces on the door handles, whether you have advanced keys or not - easier than making several different parts), but that's what they are for
  7. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    M_D_O_London is right.

No side assist = no squares on the face of the mirror housing just by the mirror mounting, just solid body colour plastic.

This is separate from the indicator repeater square on the other side of the mirror though as everyone has that.

John.
  8. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    Yeh, that's just a continuation of the indicator strip across the front of the mirror, it's a neat design