1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Smoke!!!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by p9lad, Aug 2, 2008.

1. p9lad

p9lad Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Hi Guys,

Bit worried but yesterday i noticed when i accelerated there was a little bit of black smoke coming out of my exhaust. Not huge amounts but a little bit. Im worried i have cracked a pipe or something.

Someone suggested that i fill up the car with BP ultimate and go up the motorway to clean the engine out. but apart from that any suggestions?

I have a Audi 2.0TDI i only do anout 10 miles a day and hardly any motorway driving.

cheers guys!:sos:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    I would check the boost pipes .........does the turbo sound louder lately?
  4. Jay.Ing

Jay.Ing Active Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Mine does it mate, its a diesel, ive seen skodas and mercs leave a cloud behind them!
  5. DiscoPanda

DiscoPanda Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Every single diesel I have ever been behind has fired out black smoke under acceleration - BMW, Jag, Audi, Merc. I'd not worry.
  6. p9lad

p9lad Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    cheers guys! i thought i cracked something yesterday as i went over a speed hump bit quick! i will def take it for a good run this weekend cause i know i dont do enough mileage on it in a week!

turbo sounds normal doesnt sound any louder.

cheers all!!!

:rock:
  7. Oli.

Oli. Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Its a diesel, it smokes!!! In fact the only diesel that Ive seen that doesn't smoke, is my old 335D
  8. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    .....or a diesel equipped with a DPF - they don't smoke either, but ALL others do
  9. Oli.

Oli. Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    and some quite profusely, I follow some right old smokers sometimes, and its like a smokescreen.
  10. chill14

chill14 Newbie

[Aug 2, 2008]
    As said above - its a diesel and it will smoke. :drag: Mine is on the motorway every other day and it still smokes under acceleration. Just looking at the rear bumper proves it.

If you really want to see it smoke though. :jump: Warm the engine up to running temperature, then if you can, leave it in 3rd or 4th and take it all the way to the red line. As you do so little mileage, doing this occasionally will clear the soot out of the system out a bit.

Bear in mind that if you do it in 4th, you will be exceeding the speed limit (motorway) before you hit the red line. :no: