1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black smoke with EM Light & Pipercrossa air filter

Scottyrobertson Mar 6, 2014

1. Scottyrobertson

Scottyrobertson New Member

Hi all,

I bought my already remapped 2.7 TDI A6 in December however the engine management light comes on fairly regularly and far to often, every few days, the glow plug light comes on and puts the car into limp mode. This mainly happens when in 6th gear and pushing the car uphill but recently it has started happening a few miles down the motorway on cruise control.

The error code is picking up a boost error so i assume it is something to do with the remap and I need to book it in with my local VAG place to check that out.

The other day though, I was in a car behind with someone else driving my car and I noticed how much the car stunk and the amount of black smoke from the exhaust.

Going to do an oil, fuel and air filter change and see what that does, anyone got any other comments?

Also, anyone put a non standard, pipercross or K&N, panel filter in? Have you seen any difference from the standard?

2. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

Panel filters (from reading online) don't really work on diesels so if be changing it back to standard.

What was the error code? Who loaded the map do you know?

3. carpetbagger

carpetbagger Member

Not sure if its the same issue but worth looking at mine was smoking more blue /white and a rich smell after reading gupsters post about cleaning intake manifold and lower intakes i set about and cleaned it all ended up with a takeaway carton of crispy carbon deposist
    and a car that runs smother pulls more and no more smoke
    worth a look at

4. Scottyrobertson

Will have to plug it in again to get the code, i dont have the vagcom atm, it was reported by a generic machine at my brothers garage.

The guy I bought the car off said it was provided by CHIPTUNING R-Performance and I assume he applied it himself. He did quite a lot of the work himself so wouldn't be surprised if he did this too.

He said at the time, just after I bought the car and realised the engine and glow plug light with limp mode occurred, that it was clearly done properly as the car did not pump out black smoke like many remapped cars he had seen. True at the time but not so true now :/

Interesting on the panel filter, is that why K&N don't do one for my engine then? Pipercross do but if it won't make a difference there is no point in buying one, might as well just buy another standard

5. Scottyrobertson

Ok cheers carpetbagger. Will take a look at doing that when changing the filters. Is it a fairly easy job to do?

6. carpetbagger

carpetbagger Member

Time consuming if you have to clean all the build up but more than doeable have a look at gupsterg post he details step by step procedure great write up

7. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

Stick with the standard filter, just because a car is pumping out black smoke doesn't mean it's mapped correctly.
    The earlier 2.7 and 3.0 TDI engines seemed to suffer a lot with injector issues. However if the fault you are seeing is boost related and it's smoking it may just be a boost leak. I would check all the boost hoses for leaks. They usually show up with a black wet oil patch by the leak.
    Get it scanned again to find the correct code.

Karl.

8. Danf05

Danf05 New Member

Completely up to you, I have a A4 B7 and changed the air panel to a K&N, as previously stated the delivery of power change is negligible, but I will save money on replacing filters as the K&N had a 1 million mile guarantee on it.

Also regarding the smoke issue although a bad remap can lead to a bit of smog, have you true rubbing a tank of performance fuel through it? High end BP fuels seemed to improve my engines emissions after a tank? Worth a try possible?

Dan

9. Scottyrobertson

So I did an Oil, Fuel and Air Filter change at the weekend. All the filters were pretty clean as was the intake manifold and the new oil once changed over. I cleaned what was there in the manifold but didn't really have much to clean. As recommended, just went for a standard air filter in the end.

I also scanned and found 5 error codes, listed below. Will see if they all return when I switch to my summer alloys/tyres tomorrow and re-scan

P1018 Intake Manifold runner (bank 2) lower limit not reached

P0602 Control module programming error - permanent

P3348 Boost control circuit - electrical malfunction

P0235 Charge pressure control - regulating limit not reached

P3007 Camshaft sensor no signal - intermittent

Anyone got any thoughts as the limp mode and black smoke has not disappeared as far as I can tell. Considering I am always driving, I'm not sure if the smoke has reduced but it is still there as is the boost errors.

Gonna have to go and have the car remapped properly me thinks but is there anything else I could do in the meantime.

10. Scottyrobertson

Forgot to comment, I used a tank of performance fuel last tank and it made no difference as far as I could tell. I did only use one tank of premium and then back to standard but it didn't seem to improve the errors or black smoke.

There was also no oil or dirt debris in any of the boost pipes so I assume no leaks.

Its annoying as everything we checked was better than expected if there were no problems, even more frustrating when there are problems you are trying to problem solve :/

11. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

P1018 Intake Manifold runner (bank 2) lower limit not reached is likely caused by the arms being worn. Best to change both over not that big a job.

Genuine Audi VW 2.7tdi. & 3.0tdi. Inlet intake manifold swirl flap link arm x 2 | eBay

The control module programming error sounds like thats to do with the map, the charge pressure control could be related to the map as well. The boost control and camshaft sensor sound like real faults.

Karl.

12. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

Cheaper from Audi direct!