Black Smoke remap reviews

slizza786

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Came across a site who sell DIY remaps, they're called Black Smoke (www.blacksmoke.co.uk).

Has anyone gotten a map from them and how has overall feel on their car been?

I know several people off the UK Passats forum who have used them for the AWX , AVF 130 PD engines and are happy with them.
I have a copy of one of there maps and looking at it they are a generic safe map. Not the most adventurous in terms of power, torque or boost but a good generic map around 160-165 bhp.

Karl.

I know several people off the UK Passats forum who have used them for the AWX , AVF 130 PD engines and are happy with them.
I have a copy of one of there maps and looking at it they are a generic safe map. Not the most adventurous in terms of power, torque or boost but a good generic map around 160-165 bhp.

Karl.
Did you do a DIY remap?

Hi all,

Came across a site who sell DIY remaps, they're called Black Smoke (www.blacksmoke.co.uk).

Has anyone gotten a map from them and how has overall feel on their car been?

Very good indeed. I had one on my PD150 golf mk4. 182bhp 310ft/lb. The figures were optimistic for the torque, but were in actual fact bang on. Power delivery was smooth and full torque was at 2k revs. Significant gains in low down torque were also apparent. But really helped power all the way to 4.5-5k. Surprised a very enthusiastic driver in a mercedes a250. Best mod for the car. Drove it for 2000 miles then sold the car after removing the map. No smoke whatsoever unlike a lot of other expensive maps ive seen. MPG increased.

Use the MPPS cable about £20 off ebay. Pretty easy to put on if you have used VAGCOM before.

Avoid paying the premium to these well known retailers for essentially the same map.

Very good indeed. I had one on my PD150 golf mk4. 182bhp 310ft/lb. The figures were optimistic for the torque, but were in actual fact bang on. Power delivery was smooth and full torque was at 2k revs. Significant gains in low down torque were also apparent. But really helped power all the way to 4.5-5k. Surprised a very enthusiastic driver in a mercedes a250. Best mod for the car. Drove it for 2000 miles then sold the car after removing the map. No smoke whatsoever unlike a lot of other expensive maps ive seen. MPG increased.

Use the MPPS cable about £20 off ebay. Pretty easy to put on if you have used VAGCOM before.

Avoid paying the premium to these well known retailers for essentially the same map.
Thanks flip out. Did you ever out it on a RR?

How would I know what ECU is in my car? Iv got a 2004 2.0 TDI a3 8p bkd

Thanks flip out. Did you ever out it on a RR?

didn't get it on a RR, judging by the way the car drove and how it held up against other cars, I didn't feel the need. This was over a year ago. In regards to your ECU I had to order the MPPS cable first and use the MPPS software to find out the ECU number.

But with the 140 2.0 tdi you will have to upload your ecu file off your car and send it to andy who will let you know which file is correct for yours as there is a lot of different ecu numbers for your car.
(my 150 arl had two different ECU numbers only, hence the ease of just figuring it out myself)

Worth a punt at the price. If unsuccessful you can always sell your cable back on ebay.

didn't get it on a RR, judging by the way the car drove and how it held up against other cars, I didn't feel the need. This was over a year ago. In regards to your ECU I had to order the MPPS cable first and use the MPPS software to find out the ECU number.

But with the 140 2.0 tdi you will have to upload your ecu file off your car and send it to andy who will let you know which file is correct for yours as there is a lot of different ecu numbers for your car.
(my 150 arl had two different ECU numbers only, hence the ease of just figuring it out myself)

Worth a punt at the price. If unsuccessful you can always sell your cable back on ebay.
This sounds good thanks for all the advice I'm waiting to hear back from Andrew before I make the next step. Will keep updated

I can send you my map if your software version is the same as mine for free. It is 220bhp map, I have been driving on it for 8 months now.
Are you just running a remap? No turbo upgrade etc? I'm guessing yours is 170 standard?

I have the 175bhp version, the 190bhp version and 220bhp version of the map all made by a respectable tuner. Car is pretty much stock, it has had a new turbo fitted before I bought it and I have bought new injectors prior to mapping to 220bhp.

It is still flywheel power, it makes about 190-200 at the wheels I assume.

Edit: The car is 140, BKD engine.

So I bought the MPPS cable and got the software up and running but before I read my ECU to send it off to Andrew I need to select the right ecu after choosing my make and model, this is the part I'm stuck on.

Any ideas if vcds can tell me my ecu model?

What is model year of your car?

Edit: Sorry, just saw it on the post above.

In the MPPS, select A3, 2.0 TDI PD K-Line (Should be 1st 2.0TDI PD on the list) and do the read.

If possible, send me a screenshot of MPPS while you have A3 selected so I can tell you exactly.

9e1748f06ae7057e4db68534dd0d067e.jpg

I did a ecu id half hour ago and randomly selected the one highlighted in the photo attached and got the ecu data displayed on the right. Should I still select the first 2.0tdi one in the list?

If you don't know what you doing you shouldn't be doing it, also not a fan of this method due to check sums errors and so on' for not a lot more you can get a good remap done with proper equipment etc rather than a clone tool and the risk of damaging your ecu

Reactions: Rhyso and Sayam

Karl.

Karl.
Hii desertstorm I was looking for a soft map for my AWX, could you send me a generic file to my email (mariodapaz1055@gmail.com) thank you very much!