Black Edition TDi 140 or 170 ?

Neil C

Reaction score
Esteemed members
I have just about decided to part with my trusty A3 Sportback TDi Sport 140 after 8 years, and quite fancy a Black Edition Sportback TDi. There are a few around that I like the look of, and that are in the price bracket I can afford. My only dilemma now is which engine to go for - the 140 BHP that I currently have, or the 170 BHP.
Any experience / advice / thoughts you guys can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

170 but 2010 or newer to avoid oil pump issues

170 has more power, smoother more linear delivery and stronger turbo

The 170 engine is a dream to be fair. So effortless and enough power for overtaking and motorway cruising. To be honest I'm not sure theres much difference tax and mpg wise anyway so why consider less :)

Reactions: davesimmo
Hurray for the 170

Queue the replies saying a 140+remap = 170 but it so doesn't! :p

Reactions: davesimmo
Thanks for all the responses so far. Keep 'em coming.
I'm not looking to go down the remap route - any mods I go for will be purely cosmetic.
Definitely looking post-2010, with DRLs and Rotor wheels. Trying to keep away from black paintwork too.

Yeah I love my 170 and I intend to run it into the ground, anything it needs it gets and always run it on vPower diesel. Although that is another argument on here. Lol
The only thing I regret it the fact that I went for black. Too much effort to keep it clean. Looks great in the summer, rubbish this time of year. You won't be disappointed mate.

Reactions: articuno88, Sayam and Neil C
Yesterday I have put back a factory ECU map on my 140 after having the 190hp map for 2months and it's a no brainer... 170 is the way to go. 140 is too sluggish if not remapped (for people that tried anything faster at least).

Reactions: Sayam
Have just seen a smart looking white BE near Scunthorpe. Any opinions on this as a colour choice ?

don't get me wrong firstly i don't buy any of this green/enviromental bull**it nor do i like the DPF but it only becomes a problem when it isn't given the opportunity to regen, which means the driver is driving mostly around town, in which case why would you have a diesel engine? unless you really really wanted one...

if you did then i concede you'd need to pay for it to be removed and mapped out

I agree with Sayam on the DPF. Its so easily avoidable! It frustrates every time I see people on the internet complaining saying they've got a big bill because of the DPF and spouting off sh*t about the manufacturer when actually they're the idiots for buying a diesel just to pootle around town, and there seem to be plenty of people like this! Its very simple really, lots of short drives and low annual mileage, petrol, long drives and higher mileage (15k+) then diesel.

The 170 trumps the 140 massively. You will not regret it, unlike if you buy the 140. Ibis white, rotor wheels. Thats the way forward my friend

Agree 100% with the above.. Mines Ibis white too lol!

I do hardly any mileage and have a diesel just cos I wanted one. I take my car for a drive on the motorway once a week for 20/30 minutes and never had any DPF issues

I looked at 170 and 140 , found a 140 with better spec and less miles , had a really good map and exhaust and its a great car , also quite a few trader and dealer mates said the 140 had less problems than 170 ?

i have a 140 and have no problems with power with a tunit module and high flow air cleaner.But then i have not driven a 170bhp.Its never let me down mechanically in 5yrs of ownership.Its all about whats available at the time ,whilst looking for an A3

I looked at 170 and 140 , found a 140 with better spec and less miles , had a really good map and exhaust and its a great car , also quite a few trader and dealer mates said the 140 had less problems than 170 ?

What year are we talking about? And did they specify which problems it has less of?

The reason I ask is I'm not aware of any. The 170 has DPF but the turbo isn't made of cheese like the 140 one is. I think some older 170 had injector trouble but that was under a factory recall.

Yout inputs are greatly appreciated guys. Thank you.
I am looking for a red or white 170, with rotors and mffbsw, sub-40,000 miles. Blue would also be an option, but they are like rocking horse poo to find.
I do around 300 miles a week, mostly at motorway speeds, so diesel is deffo the way I want to go.

Yout inputs are greatly appreciated guys. Thank you.
I am looking for a red or white 170, with rotors and mffbsw, sub-40,000 miles. Blue would also be an option, but they are like rocking horse poo to find.
I do around 300 miles a week, mostly at motorway speeds, so diesel is deffo the way I want to go.

I bought one a few months back, white, quattro tdi 170 Black Edition 50k but it came with the earlier wheels which I think suit it far more, less chav. Hard to come by, but worth it when you find one! Good luck!