Black a4 needs a good detail

johnny a4

Reaction score
My black a4 has swirl marks and reflections when there is bright sun shine, what would I need to use cutting compound, any advice guys would be get

Unfortunately every Audi will be different, so its a case of trying a few different pads and compounds on a test spot and seeing which works best. Remember to always start with the least aggressive pad and compound, and move up as needed.

Now I have referred to pads and compounds as you will need to do this using a DA machine. If you never used one before, then lots of reading and preferably a practice panel from a scrap yard before you set loose on your A4!

A good start to know whether you paint is likely to be soft or hard is whether its a solid paint (Brilliant Black) or metallic paint (Phantom/Mythos Black). Typically the solid will be soft as butter and metallic will be hard. If its a hard paint, I highly recommend the Megiuars MF cutting compound (D300) and a MF pad. But that is quite harsh so only if your paint is tough. If its soft you can try Megs M105 compound on a orange hex-logic and then polish up with Megs M205 on a white hex-logic.

Then there is the after care to think about. No point spending all your time an money correcting it if you just install swirls within the next month by using car washes and the local car wash place. If you have a good wash routine and methods, then at least you can maintain the finish for much longer. A good layer of protection will help minimise the effect, but also need to the right methods.

HTH :)

Reactions: Scottyg, johnny a4 and Cambaines
There are plenty of YouTube videos but I would watch a firm like chemical guys and detail garage same guys or auto finnesse as a start point as they really know there stuff

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnny a4
Thanks guys for the good advice and I will get what I need and on holidays at the beginning of august,so I hope it turns out ok

Thanks guys for the good advice and I will get what I need and on holidays at the beginning of august,so I hope it turns out ok
I have black and it's a nightmare! To a point I'v given up trying to keep it scratch/swirl free! I now live with light scratches etc. hopeful next year I'll be changing the car to a white or silver one = less hasle :)

I'm not too keen on using a cutting polish as I'm a novice user to the DA and worry that I'll do damage that I can't repair!, but something that did the job and is safe (as it doesn't cut) is Poorboys black hole polish, it fills and polishes away light scratches/swirls etc. The only down side is that it doesn't last for ever...it washes out. BUT at least your paint stays the same thickness...just do it again every few months or so.

This is when I did it last year:

@S32B Poorboys BH is great but it's a glaze and doesn't polish out any swirls. It just hides them for two or three washes. It's a great product to use when your paint work has been corrected but unfortunately won't remove anything.

With a Black car it would be wise to get a proper coating applied. As @DrEskimo said, it's what you do after the correction that keeps the paint this way. CarPro CquartzUK is cheap and pretty easy to apply and can be topped up using CarPro Reload. Makes living with a black car much less time consuming.

@S32B Poorboys BH is great but it's a glaze and doesn't polish out any swirls. It just hides them for two or three washes.

Yeah I know:

is safe (as it doesn't cut) is Poorboys black hole polish, it fills and polishes away light scratches/swirls etc. The only down side is that it doesn't last for ever...it washes out. BUT at least your paint stays the same thickness...just do it again every few months or so.

:) but thanks for the other info ;) Going to look at the CarPro Reload now!

The easiest way to make life simple = buy white next ;) :D

The Reload is brilliant, to the point where it lets me wipe mines down with a damn cloth and not put a mark on the paint. I've got about 3 layers of the Reload on now put on about a week apart from each other. It's the easiest durable product I've used.
I've got the CquartzUK in the garage to use on my next car. The current car was 12 months old when I bought it and didn't think it would work as well as applying to new paintwork. However, the Reload is a great in between product that gives great protection. :friends:

Reactions: S32B and johnny a4
The Reload is brilliant, to the point where it lets me wipe mines down with a damn cloth and not put a mark on the paint. I've got about 3 layers of the Reload on now put on about a week apart from each other. It's the easiest durable product I've used.
I've got the CquartzUK in the garage to use on my next car. The current car was 12 months old when I bought it and didn't think it would work as well as applying to new paintwork. However, the Reload is a great in between product that gives great protection. :friends:

Does using Reload add gloss and shine? Ive been looking at getting the CQuartz kit with the Reload.

The product is only as good as your prep work. If you paintwork is new or extremely well taken care of then Cquartz/reload will keep it looking this way. Above is my car yesterday, last coating of reload was approx 1.5-2 weeks ago.

Below is just after reload was applied,

Did a 50/50 mix of CarPro Reload and Sonax BSD on my wife's old MINI JCW
Came up rather nice

Love a bit of alchemy lol

Reactions: jungle650, johnny a4 and Scottyg