Bit Of A Dillema With Needing Tyres

RobbieWebs

Reaction score
Will be needing 2 back tyres shortly as they are at 3mm.
Normally I'd put the 2 front ones on the back and put the new ones on the front.
Only thing is I have 2 different tyres on the front due to the wife getting a puncture when I was at work.
Both tyres have 6mm tread.
Would it be ok to put these on the back and put new ones on the front?
I have 1 toyo proxy front left and the rest are Pirelli Rosso assys
I know you should change at least 2 tyres at once but the mrs has ******** up.
Car is 2.0tdi Quattro with 235/35/19 tyres
Cheers

My car had odd rears on when I bought it 1 year old from an Audi dealership. One of the original Pirelli must have failed their check so they fitted a nice new Nexen N8000. Sadly I did not spot it until a week later otherwise I would have told them to fit a matched pair!

Reactions: RobbieWebs
I was gutted when I came home to find another brand of tyre on the front.
But being realistic I don't drive the car everyday on motorways etc so changing the front toyo seems pointless.
But can agree the best route is to stick 2 new tyres on the back

ideally as its a 'quattro' its best to have same tyres all round,if times are hard at least the same on one axle,ok for 2wd cars but for 4wd its best stick with same pattern on 1 axle at the least.

ideally as its a 'quattro' its best to have same tyres all round,if times are hard at least the same on one axle,ok for 2wd cars but for 4wd its best stick with same pattern on 1 axle at the least.

I totally agree mate always had the same tyres on each axle before.
My first Quattro and ideally I'd like the same on each corner but the 2 front different brands have 6mm on.
The back need changed and will put 2 pirellis back on.
Can't really justify replacing the 4 tho, as have a little one arrived and I just bought a vcds cable. The mrs throws that in my face all the time lol.
Suppose that's my comeuppance for buying a car with 19's on it

vcds cable is a very good move(i have one also) 19's another good move(i have them also) The mrs never happy when its men+cars(i have one too LOL)

Reactions: RobbieWebs and razza1
The old advice on putting new tyres on the back is no longer valid with ESC or whatever Electronic Stability aids the car has.

It used to be safer for the average driver to correct understeer than oversteer because the natural reaction is to lift the throttle, hence better tread on the back. But now the car takes control and most people don't even notice the lack of grip on one end!

Agree 100% Zafi
Not something you think about really is the electronics deciding what power goes where.
Most of the time I drive with the kids in the car so not any hairy moments with struggling for grip
I never skimp and always put decent tyres on

Mine are same all round i run Avon ZZ5 great tyres about £140-150 a corner so a good price for a good tyre read nothing but good reviews for them as i said have them on mine and i think they are great

Matw of mine run them on the rear of his M3 and he's still alive hahahhaa

Mine were the same until the wife had a puncture when I was working abroad.
She doesn't understand the same tyres on lol.
Nowt wrong with Avons mate, underestimated tyre

Reactions: antowens
You can get some good tyre deals on eBay on new or nearly new tyres. I would never use Toyos again as you get terrible tyre roar from them!!!

I wouldn't normally buy Toyos myself mate.
Managed to get 2x Pirelli pzero Rosso for £262 from tyreleader. Best branded tyre for the price I found.
Hopefully get them fitted on Friday after I get home from work.
Was tempted to buy uniroyal rain sport 3 for £120 quid a tyre as the reviews were really good for them

I just bought 4x Toyos off Tyreleader - they were £426 delivered for 19s.
Got no complaints regarding them.
I found Tyreleader the best for prices also :icon thumright:

I found tyreleader the cheapest and getting the tyres fitted.
Had a bit of a nightmare trying to get my last set of tyres fitted because i hadnt bought them there a lot of places wouldnt fit them.