1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bird poo!

Discussion in 'Detailing - Sponsored by Slim's Detailing' started by Audibritz, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Audibritz

Audibritz Active Member

[Jul 1, 2014]
    I washed my car about 3 weeks ago since then I been on holiday in Egypt, came back noticed the car has been attacked by bird poo so decided I better wash it (yesterday) and for some reason the poo has burnt into the paint. I had a pot with t-cut but no luck. im not sure if it's the hot weather we have had over the past few weeks but I've left bird poo on my car longer than 3 weeks and never had any problems.

Sam.
  2. tom2

tom2 Member

[Jul 2, 2014]
    scotty76 likes this.
  3. Audibritz

Audibritz Active Member

[Jul 2, 2014]
    So it was the hot weather then. I've got about 5 patches on the roof. 2 on the bonnet. 1 on the boot and 1 on the rear wing.

Anyone know if a DA polisher will get rid of this with some sort of cutting compound? Dont fancy paying for a respray even tho I front bumper has stone chips and a few parking dings in my doors.

Cheer Sam
  4. Leebo310

Leebo310 Member

[Jul 3, 2014]
    Yep mate, a da will remove the marks pretty easily.
  5. Point_Audi

Point_Audi Vorsprung durch Technik VCDS Map User

[Jul 3, 2014]
    I hate to see cars driving around the bird poo, little do they know the damage is doing to the paint!

I have a pack of Autoglym Bird Dropping wipes in the glovebox at the ready!lol
    amped2 likes this.
  6. joinerman

joinerman Well-Known Member

[Jul 3, 2014]
    A lot has to do with the water based paint now used on cars, it's ****, scuse pun
  7. tom2

tom2 Member

[Jul 3, 2014]
    Mine never completely went on the z4 even after da polishing, did improve the appearance a lot but I always knew they were there so I always noticed a blemish where they were, the guy who bought the car off me spent 2 hours scouring every inch of the car and never noticed them though.

Suppose it's like having a scratch on your car, once you spot it you always notice it.
  8. Pulp84

Pulp84 Well-Known Member

[Jul 4, 2014]
    BMW paint is the worst for bird poo etching. Doesn't need to be on for long for damage done.

Never had issue with VAG paint. Very resistant on comparison. DA polisher will get it out no issues.....
  9. AndyBM

AndyBM Member

[Jul 4, 2014]
    bird bombs are bloody annoying, best thing to do is wash it off asap, but if this isnt always the case, once removed, do a paint decontamination stage on it, anyone whos good with a machine polisher will bring it out a treat.
  10. gogger

gogger what lies beneath

[Jul 12, 2014]
    depends how deep its etched in to the paint , marks on mine when I bought it and although Ive cut it polished it and had it proffesionally power polished they are still there , if its that deep Im afraid respray is the only way !
  11. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

[Jul 12, 2014]
    Wipes in the glovebox? By the time you realise what has happened they will be long gone lol
  12. Leebo310

Leebo310 Member

[Jul 12, 2014]
    I've never had a problem removing them as long as you use the right combination of pad and polish.
  13. dieselguy

dieselguy Member

[Jul 22, 2014]
    Good to see I'm not the only one with Bird Dropping Wipes in the glove box….. although I have been told its an overkill for a simple problem.
  14. Mesa

Mesa Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    I had some bird **** on my older red A3 in the baking heat and it marred the paint. I could never get it off but didn't have a DA machine then. TBH I think it had burnt the paint or physically damaged it due to the acids.

It was a right "bummer" ;)
  15. Jambo26

Jambo26 Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    you ca use a heat gun and it will removed the etching, you don't want to get the paint too hot but if you keep the gun moving you'll see the etch disappear.

i never believed it at first until i tried it.
  16. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Forever Waiting For My New Audi ... Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 19, 2014]
    Interesting viewing :thumbs up:

Mesa likes this.
  17. wolfie138

wolfie138 Active Member

[Aug 20, 2014]
    got the same issue, ended up w/ marked paintwork as the **** got baked on in the sun for a couple days >:-(

anyone used Scratch X? seems a decent product to try, unless anyone's got better recommendations?
    TIA
  18. Mesa

Mesa Member

[Aug 21, 2014]
    ScratchX is just a cutting compound so will just be a light(ish) abrasive designed to remove a very thin layer. The fact the bird **** has blistered the paint means it won't do much.