1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biofuel in the 1Z

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by Teabag, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Teabag

Teabag New Member

[Jun 19, 2008]
    I hope I am not asking a question that has be answered before but I have looked and couldn't see anything honest!

But I have a 1993 audi 80 tdi with the 1Z engine and I was wondering if it is possible to run it on biofuel or svo etc! especially as the cost of diesel has gone up so much the cost of a home kit looks more and more tempting but only if my car will cope with it!

Does anyone have an experience of using biofuel with this engine or anywhere that I can look to find this information?

Many thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. bigdom71

bigdom71 New Member

[Jun 29, 2008]
    VAG states bio-diesel compatibility only from 1996, but not for the latest 2L tdi's. As for SVO maybe a blend although the jury is out on the long-term issues regarding that.

I'm looking to twin-tank the A4 (B6 130) very soon, with the amount of mileage i cover i'll break even in 6 months.
  4. dunk

dunk Member

[Jun 29, 2008]
    its likely that bio is ok, but your fuel lines and seals may be subject to dissolving - i guess only a trial will say. the engine and pump will be fine

veggie oil at 30% in diesel is pretty much ok with any engine and pump but since veggie oil is about the same cost as bio you are probably better off with 60-70& methyl ester bio rather than the veggies which is higher viscocity and contains lots of glycerol chains