1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bikes (push).... Talk to me.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by S3 Rav, Jun 24, 2012.

1. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

[Jun 24, 2012]
    Right guys,

Have been thinking for a while now about buying a push bike to ride to work couple times a week. The journey will be about 12-13 miles each way. One problem though, I know nothing about bikes. I don't want to be spending stupid money but indont mind spending money on quality if that makes sense. Looking at max £300 I think. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks. Rav.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Ghost

Ghost Boo!

4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 24, 2012]
    £300 isn't very much in honesty. You'd of course get more for your money buying secondhand, but unless you have some knowledge you could get easily stung.

I'd have a look at a local bike shop, probably not Halfords unless you take someone with knowledge with you, as the staff should be able to give you some better advice. My wife bought a Giant Roam last year, just over £300 and it's really nice. You want an aluminium frame as it will be so much lighter than a steel one, and I'd suggest V Brakes over cable discs, but thats about the only choice you'd get at that price point really.

Just some ideas for you:

Hybrid Bikes | Commuter Bike | Evans Cycles
  5. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 24, 2012]
    I picked up a Giant Escape 4 last autumn for about £350. A fairly basic hybrid, but pretty durable.
  6. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Jun 24, 2012]
    Bike have progressed a long way over the last few years. As others have said though £300 isn't a big budget at all. When I built my hack back in '94 I blew well over a grand on it.

[​IMG]
    Used to have Cook Bros cranks on it but a sticky fingered scumbag decided they needed them more than me :(

Stick to V brakes over discs as they will be cable at this price range and they're not all that good. 2nd hand is a great option but you'll need a idea of what you're looking at
  7. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

[Jun 24, 2012]
    Proper novice, what do you guys mean by hybrid?
  8. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 24, 2012]
    A general purpose road bike. Google is your friend.
  9. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Member

[Aug 21, 2012]
    I am well in to mountain biking. I went and got myself a Specialized Rockhopper. £600 is a little steep (not compared to the £5000 bikes). However I couldnt have spent my money any better! It is a superb bike. For £300 these days even in Halfords you cant get hydraulic brakes. Bikes are very steep. Look at a specialized rockhopper. Trust me.. you wont be disappointed.

The pictures don't do the orange justice. The orange is really bright.. I pass very few people that don't turn around for a second look. They are available in many different specs. Mine is the basic but however it still handles one of the most difficult mountain biking trails in Wales. A trail that people buy £3500 bikes for and they still manage to break them. 570 miles into mine and still needed nothing more than a set of tyres and a service.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Here is a few pictures of mine:

Bike as standard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I added about £50 worth of odd little bits just to make it stand out a little more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

[Aug 22, 2012]
    If your commute is road only, consider a hybrid or road bike. The smoother tyres are a huge advantage. I used to commute on my mountain bike, but now I keep that for fun only and commute on a road bike (but with flat handle bars).