1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Carrier on Sportback

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by OutLore, Apr 16, 2005.

1. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

Anyone use a rear mounted bike carrier on their Sportback? I want to be able to put one on which allows the tailgate to be opened while the rack is on it, and at the same time does not require a trailerboard.....

Any recommendations?

TIA

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gizze

gizze Member

What about the Thule bike carriers?

I use there Aero rails and the quick release carrier, superb set up.
    You have to buy different foot packs depending if you have rails or not

www.roofbox.co.uk

4. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    Rear bike carriers, always worry me, I'm in a mountain bike club and know many who have lost bikes or had hatch damage. But its horses for courses I suppose.

I had the tow bar on mine and use a Pendle, no worries with three bikes on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - unfortunately I have a couple of limitations with roof mounted carriers - firstly the arch I have to drive under to get to my apartment is too low, and secondly the forks I have on one of my bikes can be damaged if clamped in a fork mount then driven up the road at 60mph (Carbon Fibre)

So, unless I fork out (no pun intended) for a towbar, its a hatch mount, or use the team van all the time - which is fine for long trips where loads of us go but if its just me I want to take the car......

5. RobB

RobB Member

Audi do one for the Sportback which is boot mounted (unless you have a spoiler). Get hold of the Sportback accessories brochure - it is £330 though! Carries 2 bikes.

Part number is 1T0 071 105G