Bigger Rear Brakes...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Im finaly looking at changing my wheels ( only been 5 years )
As i have a few issues with the brakes on my car im thinking of sorting them in the process. Fronts are brembos so will either get painted and new everything that can be changed or 996 calipers and R32 discs,
The rears work fine but i would like to upgrade to 300mm discs. im capable of making brakets to hold the caliper im sure i read that the 300mm discs can be sourced from an S4 /RS4 but i have no idea which... i know i will be redrilling them but i need the offset/ top hat to be the same as the S3... has anybody got any ideas ???

Mate if you manage to find out and can make the brackets ill be having a set :).

I do remember something been said about using s4 discs but when and who by not a clue.

The other option is a aftermarket setup from ECS or Taraox, only thing is when its comes to replacing them, it aint cheap.

I have ECS stage1 rears, not cheap, but it works! If you can machine 300mm discs and make your own bracket, I would have thought you would sell quite a few on here!

im sure i read a for sale thread on here about a week ago, the guy was selling some rear brackets to allow the fitment of the 312mm front s3 discs onto the rear, would this not be a better option than the s4 discs

The old bigger back brakes debate lol....

Considering most S3 rear brakes rot or seize long before they 'wear' out kinda gives you an idea of how much bias they have and the effect on overall braking they contribute too...

Not talking from personal experience but I know Bill runs 330mm 2 piece fronts with AP Racing 4 pots but std Ibiza solid rears... I can't remember exactly what the issue was (think the car tried to swap ends with bigger brakes on the back or something)... but it was enough for him to continue running std brakes on the back...

The ECS kit uses a solid disc rather than a vented one and from what I have seen they are not cheap when you (eventually) come to change them...

JoJo has them on his car so he could tell you the benefits (if any... and other than looking bling of course lol...)

Andrew@ALD has fitted larger I believe and there was some other guy that had a load of bits machined up so he could fit 312's that had been turned down or somat...

<tuffty/>

Unless its 2 piece aswell which thinking about it the s4 discs arnt, theres no point, its just going to add excess weight and affect overall performance.

The 308mm rears work on my car with the 19" Porsche twists on, as they are heavy and have a lot of rubber, will be interesting with the BBS RCs I have on now, it might lock up, especially in the wet!

I have Ferodo DS2500s up front now, and my car stops pretty well after a recent bedding in session.

Just for reference, LCRs run Brembo's up front and vented 256s on the rear.

Got the 300mm set up off of daveb for 300 quid pretty sure it was s4 discs with a little spacing ring to get it to sit properly on the hub but is a shame as mine has been off of the road for over two months but just put all the wheels back on yesterday, cos could have lent you the bits to replicate

A mate of mine has bigger back brakes, and like tuffty said, when he drives it hard the back tries to over take the front. i think there is a contoller available so you can change how much braking goes to the rear but personally, although i think it looks good, i dont think its worth upgrading the rears.

Well, To be honest, my brakes are shocking,
No confidence at all.
About 2 years ago while my new engine was being built i used a mk3 vr6 golf as my daily... I had a few bits left over from my charged vr6 so had a look at making a good set up for it...
I used porsche front calipers 944 i think, with 323mm brembo discs, On the rear i used a 300mm godspeed rotor on ally Bells i made up.
The car now pulls up straight and true with much more confidence, Im not expecting a huge "improvement" doing this upgrade but every little helps and i would like to see bigger on the rear as they look lost even on the stock wheels,
Weight wise... To be honest, i can not see the diffrence being huge ( something i will check ) but no bigger than the diffrence between 2 diffrent design of wheels or say 2 tyres of diffrent size,

I say go for it. Mine look lost under 16s (A3 TDI Quattro) and would consider upgrading in the future. Forget what people say about the extra weight. A few extra pounds will make no difference. People dont think about when they have an extra passenger of a full tank.

I know its " unsprung weight" but the diffrence between a 256? mm disc and a 300 cant be day and night diffrence.
Im sure ive had wheel and tyre combo's that had a much bigger diffrence that the discs will.

OK guys, just to confirm there's no huge effect on brake balance running the lighter BBS RCs on my car, I was worried for a bit that I would lock up the rears or get some squirm under braking, but they was awesome @CastleCombe today, didn't even set the ABS on once!
Brembo GTs and ECS stage1 rears work well together!

Your rears are bigger than the fronts lol

If anyone's interested in My old setup, I've just removed My Tarox 308mm 2 piece vented rears and fitted standard pagid rear discs and pads. I didn't know where to buy replacement discs as mine look like they've been under the sea and needed doing straight away!
So I've got a pair of Tarox 308mm rear discs and the alloy brackets to space out the standard calipers with bolts. The bells are fine, just need new discs for them.
No idea what they are worth but I'll listen to offers by PM :sm4:

Ash ill give you a snickers family fun pack for them :).

I will double the snickers offer.
And add some jammy dodgers