Bigger discs on S4 caliper? Help....

C17LJR

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time in here (normally in the B6 section) so apologies if this has been discussed before,

I've got a B5 S4 front brake setup to go on my B6, I'm just wondering if i can upgrade the disc diameter larger than the standard 321mm?

If you can run bigger discs, is it a straight fit or do you need different carriers? (vag items/custom?)

Thanks in advance, Carl

The B5 calipers arent particularly good, so i'd be hunking them in the bin and buying some bigger brakes if you want to go larger.

B6 S4 are 345mm, and dont have anywhere near the clearance issues the B5 ones have.

I should think you`d have to get custom apaptors to push out the calipers for bigger discs as the carriers are built ontop the calipers with the S4 arent they? So VAG parts are a no no.

The B5 calipers arent particularly good, so i'd be hunking them in the bin and buying some bigger brakes if you want to go larger.

B6 S4 are 345mm, and dont have anywhere near the clearance issues the B5 ones have.

been searching for a decent B6 S4 or even B7 setup for a while, but can't find anything. Missed out on some b5 rs4 on ebay yesterday but have just seen discs are silly money for them so possibly a good thing?

Got these B5 one for a good price so thought i'd give them a try (even keeping the standard 321 disc), so when you say not very good? in terms of size/bulky do you mean? read some good reviews of B6'ers going from even 312mm to these?

They're extremely bulky, requiring spacing on a lot of wheel designs, use an odd slider mechanism which seems prone to wear and rattle, they were only used for a very short time, and there is a design change half way thru which means there are two different styles of pad, which makes finding aftermarkets more difficult (and a lot of companies seem unaware of the change and only sell one or other pad but dont specify which one it is), they're ****** ugly, and not really that great an upgrade over 312mm disks.

B6/7 S4 is the way to go on a budget, but as you say, they're not easy to get hold of.

Porsche cayenne calipers also work, but require a bit of messing, and arent the cheapest.

lol, cheers for the detailed reply. never new about the different designs either.

well they should clear the wheels no bother, i'll stick them on for now but keep an eye out for B6/7 items,