Big Turbo s3 info HAVE YOUR SAY!

S3 GEORGE

GEORGE
Reaction score
Hi every one

I really want to upgrade my turbo on my 2002 s3 bam
just dont know were to tern every one has there opinion on the up grade!
Was thinking a gt28 or gt30 not sure would like 350 -400 bhp but want the turbo to kick in soonish on the revs my k04 seems to start doing something around 2800rpm

what setup do you want?

what setup do you have?

what would you do if you were to do it again?

i have seen bad press about backdraft are they really that bad?

saw this kit looks to good to be true?

http://www.backdraftmotorsport.com/...-format-1.8t-audi-tt-s3-and-leon-cupra-r.html

Regards

George

Hey George, speak to Jim-S3, he is currently working on a BT project and by the sounds and look of it, its a BIG project, he may have some good and relevant info for you.

There a chap on the forum Glen he has the backdraft kit fitted on his,try do a search for him fella,as also said Jim could give you some good info if you going to do it yourself!

If you doing it yourself,then it will be worth it, but if you looking to get it fitted its a lot of money, you probably better off getting one with a BT kit already on it! Your call though fella

What about injectors/fueling etc etc?!??! What can a standard box/clutch take???

Id add at least another grand MINIMUM to that price....

Pete..

i agree you would need say at least 2500 more minimum intercooler injectors, fuel pump, mapping is nearly a grand,

Hows yours perform on a GT30 Jim?? Lag city?? Or go ok??

Pete..

Only upgrade my car has is a wash every now and then..lol!!

Here's a copy of a dyno plot from a GT30 on a TT which should be the same as the S3. Looks a bit of a handfull as long as you don't drop below 4500rpm LOL. :)

Power-Run.jpg

**** a gt30 does nothing b4 400 rpm lol

would like to see that against a normal ko4 set up and a gt28

whos TT is that? anyone know spec of turbo?

i'd rather go with 2871.

I have nothing good to say about Backdraft ! so I will not comment !
I will say that Jabbasport had work there magic on my car, Turbo starts to pull from 2500 and hits full boost by 4200, drives like a normal car with loads more up top :hubbahubba: Wish I had gone down this root from the start:yes:

Reactions: Tj 0785
TimoTT on the TT Forum, Looks laggy :wtf: Large frame GT30 JBS Kit it is.

George.....off topic, but your wheels are f**king crazy!!!

I love them, you got any full size pics...of the car (not just the wheels)

G12mo X how did you get 420bhp out your engine? what cost?
420 sounds real nice lol

Nilz18t here u are mate
sum people dont like the rims
think they are wheels you either love or hate!

s3blank.jpg

s3blabk.jpg

Go for big power numbers and you run the risk fo the car being so laggy it will be a pain to drive on road. Also, remeber the S3 gearing is not that great as standard, unless you extend the rpm up the top end, with a turbo only kicking in at 4k revs, you have a severedly narrow powerband unless you really want to rag the crap out of it revs wise.

Look at the IHI based kits or the smaller garrets would be my advice. Keep the mapping sensible and aim for 330hp approx. This will keep the cost down on many levels, you will have a car that boosts strong from 3k revs and will still make good power past 7k revs, nad if mapped carefully you ca do this on a stock S3 motor, but it nees to be mapped to keep the torque a bit down to save the rods and no more than 7200 rpm to save the valves. Even with these sensible limits, you can stil get some failures, but if you push either, you absolutely will have failures!
Otherwise, for higher power, torque and revs, you need a rebuild really with rods, valves etc and it will add at least £1500-2k to your budget, (if having it done not ruilding it yourself).
A basic IHI style kit will be drive in drive out for about £5.5k depending on exact spec and that should include full exhaust. Add another £1k if you want to uprate the clutch and another £700 for an intercooler.
But for about £7k it makes for a quick car and a nice road conversion. You can try to save money on bits and bobs but it tends to compromise the overall. If you want a car that you can get in and just drive, not worry about things breaking and not needing constant attention, then go easy with a BT conversion, basically, up to about 330hp they are relatively problem free, but go after the numbers and it will become a weekend only car very soon!

**** a gt30 does nothing b4 400 rpm lol

would like to see that against a normal ko4 set up and a gt28

Hi George,
Here is a power graph from my car. Though bear in mind that this was done before Revo had finished mapping the fuelling side of the car.

I have not had it on a rolling road since the map was completed, so no idea what it is making now. I wouldn't imagine it is making much more tbh, but the delivery will most likely be better.

Hope this helps,
Glen

power_graph.jpg

How far can I go before changing internals?

bhp tq fly wheel etc

is a Gt2871r too much? whos got one on ther car?

Regards
George

We have some awesome offers on kits for 2009.
The bad press you are talking about are just a few people who didnt even have their kits fitted by us. We gaurantee satisfaction if the kit is fitted by us. Prices include free car hire for the duration of the installation and we use custom developed mapping from Revo for our software.
With over 100 kits now sold you can be sure you are investing in quality.

325 and 350 bhp kits are now £3995 including VAT, fitting, mapping and fuel injectors.

400 bhp kit now £4250 including VAT, fitting, mapping, fuel injectors and fuel pump.

These are our lowest prices ever!

Best Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.

how can you do a 400bhp kit for 4250??? surely you will need uprated internals or your end up with 0 bhp for 4250

We have some awesome offers on kits for 2009.
The bad press you are talking about are just a few people who didnt even have their kits fitted by us. We gaurantee satisfaction if the kit is fitted by us. Prices include free car hire for the duration of the installation and we use custom developed mapping from Revo for our software.
With over 100 kits now sold you can be sure you are investing in quality.

325 and 350 bhp kits are now £3995 including VAT, fitting, mapping and fuel injectors.

400 bhp kit now £4250 including VAT, fitting, mapping, fuel injectors and fuel pump.

These are our lowest prices ever!

Best Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.

What is the 2009 prices for the 350bhp kit, shipped ex. vat :hubbahubba:

What is the 2009 prices for the 350bhp kit, shipped ex. vat :hubbahubba:

BDM18TGT2860SC kit is £2595 inc vat supply only.
Where do you want it shipped to? You can PM this info if you like.
Best deals are available for kits fitted and mapped at Backdraft.
All prices have been updated on the website today www.backdraftmotorsport.com
Thanks
Luke
Backdraft Motorsport

i'd want internals done at that level!

We have a deal on upgrading connecting rods with the 400 bhp turbo kit.
£1450 inc vat
Includes Labour
Nuts, Bolts and Gaskets
BDM Forged Conecting Rods
Piston Rings and Pins
Big End Bearings
Strip and Skim Head
Valve stem seals
Lap valves and refit

Thanks
Luke
Backdraft Motorsport

Iiirc Vagtech fitted my rods for £500ish + parts , great job and great customer service , talk to john

BDM18TGT2860SC kit supplied is without revo software?

BDM18TGT2860SC kit supplied is without revo software?
Yep supply only price includes
GT2871R ball bearing turbo Hi Flow cast manifold
3” SS downpipe and sports cat
3” SS Inlet pipe
SS Charge pipe
Silicone connecting hoses (Blue, Red or Yellow)
Braided oil and water hoses
SS oil drain bottom pipe.
Gaskets
Hose clamps
Actuator bracket and SS extension rod
Studs, Bolts, Nuts, washers and heat wrap.
£2795 inc vat

If you have it fitted with us its £4250 inc vat for
BDM18TGT2871SC Turbo Kit
Oil and Oil Filter
Coolant
High flow inline fuel pump
Genesis 550cc injectors
Revo Technik Software
Boost controller
and Free car hire for the duration of the installation.

Yep supply only price includes
GT2871R ball bearing turbo Hi Flow cast manifold
3” SS downpipe and sports cat
3” SS Inlet pipe
SS Charge pipe
Silicone connecting hoses (Blue, Red or Yellow)
Braided oil and water hoses
SS oil drain bottom pipe.
Gaskets
Hose clamps
Actuator bracket and SS extension rod
Studs, Bolts, Nuts, washers and heat wrap.
£2795 inc vat

If you have it fitted with us its £4250 inc vat for
BDM18TGT2871SC Turbo Kit
Oil and Oil Filter
Coolant
High flow inline fuel pump
Genesis 550cc injectors
Revo Technik Software
Boost controller
and Free car hire for the duration of the installation.
Can you not map the n75? Nobody else needs manual boost controller :hubbahubba::wtf:

Can you not map the n75? Nobody else needs manual boost controller :hubbahubba::wtf:

Im only here to answer genuine questions. If you are really happy with your own kit you really dont need to quiz me about the BDM stuff. You have made it clear that you arent interested in the BDM kit any more so please dont play games with me?

For those who are interested we supply an electronic boost controller that can safely control boost over 1.7 bar. Its also adjustable on the move and a great advantage over the standard. The smaller power kits use the N75.
All our mapping is done by Revo Technik by the way.

your wouldnt change the valves aswell as rods?
free car hires a good idea tho!!

your wouldnt change the valves aswell as rods?
free car hires a good idea tho!!
I agree do valves, but keep your bam pistons, I put JE 8.5-1 in and wish I had not lowered compression.
Now having my engine rebuild 2L because of this, In for a penny in for a pound :hubbahubba: