Big problems... What now!?

Jayy26

Reaction score
My cousin has confirmed the turbo on the way out even though it was reconditioned 2years ago! The flywheel is chattering and maybe the head gasket has gone!
What do i do get rid off it?
The only thing if I am keeping it instead off puttin standard parts back in go down the hybrid and updated cluth route?
whats the cheapest way to do it all for and what gains am I lookin at?
Thanks in advance

I've only had it since November! :/ and I'm gonna lose money on it that I can't afford..

Cheapest route for turbo is stock replacement, hybrid will need custom map to make it actually worth doing or it will lag & be a wasted expense, so thats added cost.

Well still the cheapest as hybrid turbo is more, seems to me you're trying to convnice yourself to buy a hybrid lol.

In do want more power do might as well do it in one know..

What does your cousin know about mechanics? Why has he said the turbo is going? Why had he said the head gasket is going?

As for flywheel chattering? Could you describe this a bit more as it could just be the starter motor, not the flywheel.

He owns his own garage lol and my car was loosing coolant but then used kseal and stopped the white smoke know its blue smoke and oil keeps needing to be filled up..and he says it's nakered:/ and tbh the car won't start sometimes when it's warm but think that's due to immobiliser blocking it.. Can't reall write mug because I'm at work I had posted before this with the ins and outs :)

Does your turbo whistle at all? I think mines on the way out too! Whistle quite bad when cold but quiets down abit when the engine gets warm. Like a 'siren' sound that goes up and down with the speed of the engine?

It used to whistle but sounds more like an owl noise know and kinda siren sound and mine seemed to sound the same no matter hot or cold

Does your turbo whistle at all? I think mines on the way out too! Whistle quite bad when cold but quiets down abit when the engine gets warm. Like a 'siren' sound that goes up and down with the speed of the engine?

Ain't turbo meant to whistle during acceleration?

Don't mean to sound rude, but because he owns his own garage doesn't necessarily mean he knows everything, by putting K-Seal in your car has just masks the problem and doesn't fix it. From owning a Rover K-Series and using the stuff before, it will only come back again. Now you can't tell if oil is getting into your coolant system because you've mixed a brown substance in it.

Have you got mayo in your oil? Dip stick and oil cap?

White smoke is going to happen with how cold it is at the moment. But as you've said it's now blue smoke which is a sign of burning oil, so possibly it is your head gasket.

What happens when you turn the key when you say it won't start? I assume its a diesel aswel? Could be glow plugs? Are you allowing the glow plugs to warm up before turning the engine over?

Its hard to diagnose problems when you just mask one to worry about another problem.

Have you got access to any diognostic tools? If the turbo was playing up it could throw up some faults such as the common sticky veins, you just haven't experienced limp mode yet.

yeh i know and he moaned at me for it! lol i did check to see if oil was mixing before and it never did..and nope no mayo or anythign well the other week i think i wiped the faintest bit of but never came back..and its not condensation its a bluey colour so yeh thinking headgasket :/yes its diesel and yes!! i always warm them up first and wait for the light to go off and i think thats down to a vagcom reading saying about immobiliser being blocked,and its not got any other readings coming out off the vagcom,,and the only thing the turbo does know is make an owl type noise and the turbo isnt kicking in untill later