big problems, any advice please ?

jamieA3

Reaction score
Hi Again peeps. This is now the 8th or 9th problem with my a3 1.8t in about 2 months ! It all started of starting the car from cold, I had driven it that morning to work and it was fine.
The car took 20 seconds of turning over constantly to start, Since then, My car feels slow and heavy like its a 1.6 NA engine. Barly any boost if any. It still feels ok once I get it up to speed.

Also, on my ' private drive ' Nicknamed the A10, my lemon now will not go above 108 mph and just sits there at about 4100 revs. Before it went all the way to 130 plus.

So, Would Ibe right in thinking my turbo has been ********? Cars on 105k miles and is stock apart from a 007p. Its had a good service history but the previous owner only covered 10k over 3 years and as such didnt change the oil in that time !!! He also had a brokn DV and it had been ' fluttering '. For how long I dont know. I didnt know this was a problem as its my first turbo car.

Any ideas as to what this is ? there are no split pipes or leaks from what I can tell.

Many many thanks, Jamie

ps. Seriously starting to hate this car. loved it at first, now Im just wanting to buy a v6 and forget turbo bother and all the extra bits that go wrong because of it.

I would buy I cant afford ANY garage bills at this time. what number of things could it be ruffrida ? there was also a strong burning/rotten veg smell when it got stuck at 4100 rpm.

Ohand Badger 5, agreed the previous guy neglected the servicing, but he was not in the slightest mechanicaly sympathetic, and totaly ignorant to oil change intervals. dosnt help me however.

Ey up jamie, Rotton veg smell? would the previous owner have used veg oil as 5w/40? lol

Seriousley, don't give up on it, n dont let it get you down, were all here to help, like ruffrida says get it scanned, it can make things a hell of alot simpler :).

If your gettin up to a certain speed/revs, i know on an s3 the tip can collapse sucking! I dunno though with the a3 except half of it is metal, either way worth a look but AFTER its been scanned, that should be your 1st port of call mate.

Rotten egg, wonder if you have a cat issue partially blocked & thus fair amount of back pressure, badger would be the person to advise tbh.

& driving it at 110mph with issues may not be the most wisest idea atm.

I would buy I cant afford ANY garage bills at this time. what number of things could it be ruffrida ? there was also a strong burning/rotten veg smell when it got stuck at 4100 rpm.

Ohand Badger 5, agreed the previous guy neglected the servicing, but he was not in the slightest mechanicaly sympathetic, and totaly ignorant to oil change intervals. dosnt help me however.

The list could go on and on bud tbh.

There is plenty of people on here with vag-com that would probably do it for you for a few beers, dont make my mistake and start chucking money at a un-diagnosed problem, trust me its not fun!!

I am sure there is a vag-com directory somewhere on here, worth a shot bud, dont go steelers it aint worth your life savings !!