Big power 1.8T owners....

b16 will

Reaction score
How much did it cost you?
Im thinking of going big turbo, im tired of the S3 and miss the 25psi of boost from my last car, and the 23psi of the car before.
Whats needed for the big turbo conversions other than the blower, and lastly, has anyone got the set up to sell as ive got cash burning a hole !!

Have a look at my build thread for an idea of whats involved in doing a BT conversion. Has links and stuff to where I got the parts. A lot of the kit was sourced from the states so price wise it will vary dependant on exchange rate.

Don't forget supporting mods and essential stuff you need to change. Its not as simple as getting a bigger turbo and bolting it on sadly.

Cost of the kit is one thing, labour for the build is another.

<tuffty/>

It also helps if your good with a Tig, Mig or good at engineering as i am planning mine and the only thing thats going to cost me is parts and mapping as i'm part of a CNC machine team

my big turbo a3 quattro is upfor sale. see my build thread.

gt2871 turbo kit,fully built motor. bills totally over £10k easy.

open to a part/ex or straight sale.
pm me in intrested.
hell of a lot cheaper to buy a ready built car

I was looking on the old Ebay usa for bits and bobs, looks like the states will come up trumps, and the usual clutch, engine mounts etc will be addressed, and luckily, i can mig, my mate can tig and my in law is an experienced engineer. 10 clap!! I dont think il ever spend anywhere near 10k, even if i had it, must be some motor with that kind of capital in it, i was optimisticly hopeing to spend circa 2k by doing as much as i could myself....or am i just talking silly?
I bolted a used GT2871r to my old s14a and it cost me £600, im hopeing to find a similar used £500 blower, and take it from there.

Will,on the cheap generally means cutting corners.

You will need to do the rods at least and if you are expecting to develop power beyond the OEM redline then valves and springs...

£2k is a tad close to the mark IMHO, you will need to factor in stage 3 mapping too which will cost you around £600.

Stuff you will need to buy will include a manifold (top mount will make things easier but underslung can be done), rods, inline fuel pump, bigger injectors plus various gaskets and head bolts.

Some of the stuff you will need to adapt/fabricate will be turbo oil and water lines, DP/exhaust bits, oil drain mods (trust me on this one) and turbo inlet pipe....

Supplementary stuff you should be doing is FMIC, silicon hoses and brakes. (suspension should get a look in too if you haven't done so already)

Make sure the stuff you get from the states id the genuine stuff and not chinese copies as they won't last 5 mins.

<tuffty/>

No corner cutting from me, just fabricating myself, and maybe useing decent used parts. The JBS jobbies look tastey as flip !! I think i need to start gathering a few bits together, its just a shame the decent bits like miltek systems, and tastey rods etc demand such strong money.Thanks for the decent advise guys.

£2k !! I'm going to budget my build to over £5k easy thats if i can get a good used GT30

I plan to make my own top mount manifold and down pipe

Get some parts from the US like steel con rods etc

I've built many engine in the past but never a 20v Turbo so thats something i will be leaning on the way

Also a good clutch will be needed at some point and thats not cheap

370ish bhp. makes 1bar of boost by 3.5rpm.
its a nice drive. any passengers will be impressed!
pulls hard all way to limiter

i really love my s3 but i really dont understand these expensive big turbo upgrades. people spend 7k on a s3 then spend another 5k. i bought a evo 8 mr and it was amasing i would rather have a purposely built fast car than an upgraded 1.

Depends what you want though... My S3 looks standard but is an M3 worrier...

<tuffty/>

i really love my s3 but i really dont understand these expensive big turbo upgrades. people spend 7k on a s3 then spend another 5k. i bought a evo 8 mr and it was amasing i would rather have a purposely built fast car than an upgraded 1.

lol
depends what floats ya boat

an off the shelf evo, with its high running costs, low fuel range will be comparible to a BT'd A3/S3 etc, but the thing is about people want to mod their motors..
if you have th emodding bug you buy whichiever platform, be it audi or evo, but I bet they would mod either once bitten

its an addicition
I am personally afflicted terminally.. lol

lol
depends what floats ya boat

an off the shelf evo, with its high running costs, low fuel range will be comparible to a BT'd A3/S3 etc, but the thing is about people want to mod their motors..
if you have th emodding bug you buy whichiever platform, be it audi or evo, but I bet they would mod either once bitten

its an addicition
I am personally afflicted terminally.. lol

i will agree with you on that...!!!