Big difference in 0 - 60 time with remap?

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have a standard 2001 S3 with a upgraded Baileys re-circ valve and green panel filter.... Going for a Revo remap next month, will the acceleration to 60 be a big improvement? It's fairly quick allready, but the turbo takes a while to really kick in and with it being a heavy car it im hoping for more ummph!

Cheers

0-60 is improved, but its the big torque increase mid-revs that makes the car so much quicker in real world driving/overtaking

Cool cheers, any ideas what the 0 - 60 time on everage is on a mapped S3?

Late 5s 0-60 on average.
With a very good remap, and good technique, mid 5s.

The fact that you need to hook 3rd to reach 60 costs time...unless you have a big turbo conversion with a much higher rev limit (and are still making power right up there) or a longer 2nd gear, that is.

Flip me really? Wow im very surprissed didn't think it would be as quick as that... Im guessing with my mininimal panel filter which prob wont see any gains, and baileys valve which will hopfully maintain boost ill see 265ish with a revo map...

I thought the revo map would raise the rev limit enough to hit 60 in second, obv not! Surely the change to third gear loses a blinking lot of time then. Any idea what standard figures are? Guessing aroung 7secs? (Have 210 verson)

Flip me really? Wow im very surprissed didn't think it would be as quick as that... Im guessing with my mininimal panel filter which prob wont see any gains, and baileys valve which will hopfully maintain boost ill see 265ish with a revo map...

Yeah...if you get a good launch...and that's the key.
Your filter will add nothing...neither will your DV...the standard one is fine as ling as it's not leaking.

265 BHP...someone who thinks sensibly about power gains.
A good re-map will give you that at best...this talk of 280 BHP+ is a joke in my view.

I thought the revo map would raise the rev limit enough to hit 60 in second, obv not! Surely the change to third gear loses a blinking lot of time then.

Perhaps it does...but you are revving an engine that's making no real torque and not much meaningful power all the way up there on a K04.
On a BT S3 it's different.
But the K04 can't move enough air to keep making high power/torque up there...so both curves drop off. Perhaps you could rev the **** off the engine to hit 60 in 2nd with a raised rev-limit...but I wouldn't want to.
You are revving for the sake of it...
Better to change to 3rd, hit the meaty part of the torque and ride that...

Which is why S3s don't seem 'that' quick to 60, but ARE quick to 80.

Any idea what standard figures are? Guessing aroung 7secs? (Have 210 verson)

About 6.4 standard.
You loose about 1/2 second with a remap...but as has been said, it's the midrange grunt you realy gain on....with a well tuned S3 on a K04 you can easily be hitting low-mid 5s.
If you have a clutch that will take the abuse...and no mechanical sympathy what so ever!

Awesome thanks Ess Three, really looking forward to it now!

Lastly is there any milleage in upgrading the Turbo Intake Pipe? I've heard that these are prone to imploding once chipped, and is there any better gains to be had? Id rather not have to upgrade it if its safe to run with the standard one...

Cheers

I think the imploding hose was only on the very early 210/225s.

I never suffered from it...and then bought a very bling and expensive silicone TIP because it added lots of power/torque/MAF numbers/VAG Com horsepowers...
Guess what?
It gave nothing at all on the dyno...but it looked nice.

I think the imploding hose was only on the very early 210/225s.

I never suffered from it...and then bought a very bling and expensive silicone TIP because it added lots of power/torque/MAF numbers/VAG Com horsepowers...
Guess what?
It gave nothing at all on the dyno...but it looked nice.

Really? Oh dear, you had to find out the expensive way then. Least it looks nice then when you life the bonnet up! ;)

Hmm im slightly concerned as mine is an early 210 model... It's a 2001 facelift the year the facelift first came out so is an early one, doh!! Is there anyway I can check if it's the weaker pipe, are the newer ones metal? Will have to keep an eye on that then. Knowing my luck it'll be mine thats effected.

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! Thats great news, will stick with the orginal TIP then. Thanks again Ess Three, I didn't fancy shelling out for this.