1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big cloud of **** when I put my foot down

steeleez Sep 11, 2010

1. steeleez

steeleez Member

Lads, when I put my foot down in 1st gear there's a load of **** comes out of the back end, is this normal?

2. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

what is it a tdi ?

3. steeleez

steeleez Member

Yes it is mate, can't believe I didn't put that in my post doh! It's a remapped 52 plate tdi 130, the cars only done 49k miles and has full audi history.

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

How long have you had it mapped for?

Its normal to a degree if you give it some beans yes, but this also depends on how much smoke & fuel consumption.

5. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

do you do long or short runs in it mate i find mine puffs a bit as i do most town driving so have to take it on a run out of town to clean it up but im thinking if you only have 49k on it its not been used at all mate lol as NHN said above or last winter i had my temp sender go and it was smoking on tick over and like you puffing out when every i put my foot down

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. steeleez

steeleez Member

It's been mapped for 2 months now and it is mostly town driving I'm doing so I'll take it out for a good run and see if that helps, my fuel consumption hasn't altered, in fact it's got slightly better since the remap.

7. Phil MC

Phil MC SerialAudiOffender

It could also be that your intercooler (or one of them, as some TDi's have 2 fitted) could have a split causing it to smoke excessively under acceleration. It will also be hissing like an airline leaking when on boost.

Probably not, but I've had this before and well worth ruling it out.

8. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

where about are the intercoolers on tdis mate

9. steeleez

steeleez Member

I give the car a good blast today and seems to have done the trick, cheers for all the help.

Gary

10. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

intercoolers on my 2.5 v6 tdi are in each front corner under the headlights, not easy to see though

11. vinesh

vinesh Member

Split IC will chuck out black smoke. My passenger side IC was split and made the car smoke and gave poor MPG.

12. chrisash32

chrisash32 Member

hmmm think i might be suffering with this one too.. the world goes black behind me when i touch the accelerator!

13. Stiggles

Stiggles Top Gear!

I had this problem when i remapped my old Golf Mk4 GTTDI from 130 to 175ish, it turned out the intercooler clip broke and needed replacing after it was fine

but i did however notice some issues prior to repair, maybe it will help anyone with similar probs

once the car started up there was plenty of boost not the full amount IIRC, but there was an enormous amount of smoke came out, after i hit 60mph the turbo basically died or else it was the ECU, but either way there was no power at all! so mid cruise i would turn the car off and on quickly and voila it was fixed (temporarily ofc) the smoke also disapeared after the power did so i figure that was something of similar origin

anyway just got my A3 2.0TDI remapped last week from 140 to 174 with an torque increase of 40ish from 241 to 282 iirc, got her RRed, but then the other night i was giving her the boot and she cut out at 130 and since in 1st gear when i accelerate i get white/black smoke, one or the other
    so i have a feeling it is the IC so going to look at getting a FORGE fitted

hope i've helped a bit :D