1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big brake options

Dan! Feb 13, 2010

1. Dan!

Dan! Quattro Drive

Thanks for all the input guys, it's been really useful! In the end I went ahead and bought a set of S3 brakes since they came up and were a good price. I may have to start saving up for something a bit more special to sit behind my 18's. :thumbsup:

2. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

Good :idea:

3. Dan!

Dan! Quattro Drive

Alright, one last question - what kind of bolt holds the rotors onto the hub? Might seem strange but I know that some cars use a phillips style bolt that is impossible to get out without the right tool and some have Torq bolts that are easy to get out. Just so I know if I need to find someone with the right tool or if I already have everything I need....

Cheers!

4. GConn

GConn Member

I've heard plenty of bad comments on K-Sport and D2 but not for XYZ brakes. I've heard bad comments ont XYZ suspension kits too, but none for the brake kits. I've seen the 355mm 6 piston kit on an S3, using Ferodo DS2500 pads and the results are astonishing. Can't really understand how the OEM setup would be better than this. I have also seen the kit in the flesh. After reading some of the posts here I would imagine they would fall appart in my hand...well, they didn't.

I like considering all different opinions in a forum from everyone, but sometimes I feel that people get carried away without having any experience with specific products.

5. boggysv

boggysv Member

On my AP disc, they reused the flat-head torq screw that holds the stock disc. It's just there to hold the disc in position so it doesnt fall off when the caliper is removed, i think.

6. Dan!

Dan! Quattro Drive

Ok, so it's a torq screw then? That's fine and easy to get out so I'm happy! I agree, it's only there to hold it in once the caliper is removed, but if it was the phillips kind I would have had to get someone to remove it then I think I would have binned it to be honest. Saves it being a pain in the a$$ later.