Bi-xenon question, what does this bulb do?

TimFok

ex vRS driver
Reaction score
Website
www.timfok.com
Just bought some OEM bi-xenons.I may be wrong, but was under the impression the single D1S served as both dipped and full beams.If that is the case, what does the bulb next to the sidelight pictured below do? If this for when flashing? Or am I mis-informed and this is the full beam bulb.
photo1_zps993b576e.jpg
Thanks in advance

The D1S does as you say. Full beam as well as dipped. And when you flash someone it will use the D1S/xenon part. The inner is DRL or day time running light. And the little light above that is the park light.

Thanks for the replies.

And I don't suppose anyone who's fitted them with harness' can answer - How are these activated with the standard light switch in the cabin? Does it take a different light switch to enable them?

DRL's come on with the ignition. They're not governed by a switch.

Interesting you say that my DRL in my DTM is controlled by a switch to the left of my main switch that controls my "OFF, AUTO, On etc"

To be honest you may still be correct. Because I dont know if the halogen OEM lights have a DRL built in ? Because if they do then they should run off either ignition or off the light switch. Never had halogens always owned cars with xenons.

So it may just be a case of that the Xenon Units with DRL in the Audi are switch controlled. But the halogen are ignition or the main light switch.
That is how mine looks below with out the switch next to the DRL on the right which is stay home lights or something mainly on the american audis.

DRL

If the car came factory with the xenon headlamps then you will have the DRL switch inside to turn them off and on.
When retro fitting you programme them with vagcom and they turn on and off with ignition. You can wire the switch for it but don't have the link for a guide.

The switch controls whether or not the DRLs come on at all, if they do come on it's with the ignition not the light switch.

Once fitted on coded the DRLs will come on with the ignition with no need to fit the switch unless you wanna turn them off but what's the point in that.