1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Xenon Issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Farhan, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

Hi All,

Not the perfect time of year but having a few small niggles with my bi-xenons. I started noticing back in december that one bulb started looking more greenish than the usual blue/white. I usually know with xenon bulbs that when they come to the end of their life they usually turn greenish then slowly to pink and die.

I decided to get them changed and replaced, Before i changed them i did notice that when i would brake heavy they would flicker, No warnings would come up at all just a very quick flicker (It felt as though they would turn off and on again in a split second)

Bulbs were now replaced and the color of the bulbs looks spot on. However i noticed more and more that under heavy braking or if hit a dip they would flicker still. I checked all connections when i changed the bulbs over, Removed the ballasts as well and reconnected them making sure no dirt was in between the connections.

Now just recently i received a bulb out warning and one headlamp was not working, I stopped and started the car and after a few moments they are back on, No bulb out warnings. I dont have access to VCDS but does this sound like the ballasts are possibly on their way out?

Any advice would be appreciated
  2. _G_

_G_ Member

Yeh sounds like the ballast to me but make sure you get OEM ones.
    Still may be worth a scan though with VCDS.
  3. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Swap ballast from faulty side to good side, see if problem moves.
  4. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

This may make you laugh....one of my xenons packed up a couple of weeks ago,so the car got checked into the local dealers for a fix.
    The bulb had taken the ballast with it on it's way out,so once I was several hundred bucks lighter,they showed me where a mouse had been nesting underneath the headlight casing.
  5. amar06fbr

amar06fbr Vorsprung Durch Technik

are they oem bulbs?
  6. MrLapou

MrLapou Active Member

Perhaps this is a bad earth wire/connection issue.
  7. Digzz

Digzz "Started From The Bottom"

Sounds like ballast to me also ....
  8. JayT

JayT New Member

Haha brilliant!

By the look of your signature that mouse must have enjoyed his ride!
    Zak0123 likes this.
  9. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

Not another rat issue! Certain it wont be that this time as i removed the whole bumper when i switched the bulbs over. The bulbs are not OEM.

I may give it a try to switch the ballast over, Its difficult though as i would then need to take the car out for a drive for a while to see the symptoms. Happened on the way home today. Switched car off and on after a little while they both fired up.

May try find someone local to scan it as it would make it a tad easier. Not looking forward to ballast problems! just had a look online and they are PRICEY!
  10. Digzz

Digzz "Started From The Bottom"

If you want a quick scan ...Holla @ me ....