1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beware of certain users on here who carrying out work on your car

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by drewbee, Jul 1, 2010.

1. drewbee

drewbee Member

[Jul 1, 2010]
    Hi guys,

i have had my cambelt replaced by a user on here, not naming no names (pm me if you want to know). my car was fine and running well before. got the belt done, drove it home, it was fine. few days later when i next drove it, the car started smoking! resulted in a blown head gasket!!

spoke to the guy and he werent having any of it, kept saying it cant have been me, i do a proper job etc etc - blaming my car was faulty before!

tried telling me he drove my car 20-30 miles after he replaced the belt to make sure everything was running fine etc, but i know he didnt cos when i dropped off the car to him, my petrol light was on, in fact it was on when i set out on my way to him!! so no way he could of done those miles on it.

when i first found out the car was smoking, i checked the water levels and it was empty! so i phoned him up asking if he could come have a look, and i asked if he had topped up my water after replacing the belt - he tells me, "erm... i topped it up abit!!" i then realised he told another lie cos he gave me the reciept for the parts and on there was 5L of coolant on there.

So anyways, i tried to call him to get him to replace the head gasket as i got it diagnosed else where but he never answered my calls nor did he call me back!! tried for days and i would get no response!! so one day i decided to call him on my mates phone, and he picked up straight away and claimed that he'd been busy - yeah right, and your not to busy to answer a call from a different number!!

long story cut short, i had to sell my pride and joy after he messed it up and didnt seem to give a cr*p about me and my car!! lost just under £5k and i've only owned the car for 6 months!

i had paid another garage £1000 to get the head gasket replaced - and after that it was still no good, the guy told me the "black" must have been cracked!! now i know this wasnt the case before and my car never smoked and water level was always sitting on min. the fact that he ignored my calls, indicates that he must of done something wrong on my car!! however i have no proof or hard evidence!! but all points towards him!!

so moral of the story, DO NOT LET ANYONE ON HERE TOUCH YOUR CAR, unless he has a proper garage/business.

this geezer worked on the streets!! i should have spotted the signs!!! im quite lucky he didnt steal my car!!

beware!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. polar

polar Member

[Jul 2, 2010]
    Just goes to show cheap is not always better, makes me feel better after paying Audi £1100 to change cambelt and Water pump etc
  4. T0m

T0m Member

[Jul 2, 2010]
    You paid how much Polar? that is well expensive....
  5. j033y

j033y Member

[Jul 2, 2010]
    Bloody hell, cost me just shy of £300 to get my cam belt water pump done at a garage I know is better than dealers!! Only didn't do it myself as I had no time, and thought £300 including parts was cheap enough, but £1,100 is robbery!
  6. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

[Jul 2, 2010]
    To be fair, polar does say etc...maybe they did an engine swap too? :nyah:

Oh and drewbee, gutted about the work you had done. I'm intrigued by who it is though, lol!
  7. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet VCDS Map User

[Jul 2, 2010]
    Feel for you mate but a bit unfair comment about not letting anyone on here do things to your cars etc. I'm not in the trade in anyway shape or form but I have worked on alot of peoples cars on here and have always took the time to be very precise and have gone that bit further than any dealer would. Did the guy in question have a good rep on here ? Did you do your homework on him first.
  8. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Jul 2, 2010]
    The Guy is obviously Pissed and it was aimed at the dude who actually did his car.

...anyway ive got a halfords toolkit and few wrenches here and there so if anyone wants an engine transplant, cambelt change or maybe just an oil service, ill do it....I dont know what im doing but ill have a blast, Cambelt changes are £59.99 all in (thats with the belt inc).....and ill travel to you but 600mile radius limit please :scared2:...if its bigger than 2ltr then just add another £7.99 :yes:....anyone?????:tumble:

Joking apart, Id be pissed but I wouldnt have said it that way - I would have named n shamed him public regardless what others would say or disagree with, can totally understand how pissed you would be though.Lesson learnt hey!!!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  9. 1wheelonly

[Jul 2, 2010]
    deffo, name and shame if its deffo his mistake/fault
  10. Nutkin

Nutkin Member

[Jul 2, 2010]
    tbf if im gonna get a mate to do soemthing, I normally look at the job first online or in etka and watch over and help while he does it, that way you learn more and can make sure everything is done properly. End of the day blame lies with both fo you imo. Just another lifes lesson and move on with it.
  11. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Jul 2, 2010]
    I have a proper garage in Northampton, we do cam belts, breaks, clutches and almost anything you want, great rates for any ASN member, :rockwoot:
  12. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 2, 2010]
    You cannot tar everyone with the same brush. Many members on here do work for others with no problem at all.

I cannot see how the gasket went as a consequence of the timing belt change unless the waterpump was done at the same time and the car maybe had an airlock?
  13. A4 nut

A4 nut Member

[Jul 2, 2010]
    Sorry to here this bud how come DIS did not tell you that the water level was low and engine temp was high? Ive had oil changes done by main dealers and the next week the oil pump and pickup pipe is goosed not defending the person that did your cambelt but these things happen hope your sorted now!
  14. luckydave

luckydave Member

[Jul 2, 2010]
    Why did the head gasket go?

Did he change the water pump and get an air lock perhaps??
  15. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

[Jul 2, 2010]
    Drewbee that's a shed load of bad lucK, post up the name of the guy who done the work. Or who ever did work on Drewbee's car have your say so we can have both side's to this big F**k up..
  16. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

[Jul 2, 2010]
    Thats bad luck but in no way changing a cambelt will result in headgasket failure,poorly fitted can cause noises,idle issues,bent valves etc but no headgasket...not defending him in anyway he should have at least looked at the car and answered his phone. More likely the gasket was failing long before that.
  17. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Jul 2, 2010]
    i just wanted to add, everything is fixable, you can find a whole engine on ebay for very little money, bring the car and engine up to us and we will do an engine change for you for not much money,
  18. Nutkin

Nutkin Member

[Jul 3, 2010]
    how much for a basic service mate. im moving up to leamington spa soon. Where you located, i'll happily travel for savings and to give a propper garage some business.
  19. scott b

scott b Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 3, 2010]
    so just because someone works on your drive or side of the road on your car you wouldnt use them?

i work on peoples car anywhere, be it on the road, in a car park, drive way etc, its called a mobile service which most ppl prefer (do towbars, dual controls, parking senors etc)

where the job was done makes no odds at all, say the guy had a garage, he still gone of done a **** job

but hope you get it sorted soon
  20. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Jul 3, 2010]
    ^^ like he says!!
  21. drewbee

drewbee Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    sorry mate, i was refering it to a certain user, not you.
  22. drewbee

drewbee Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    yes, the water pump n therostat was changed together. and yes, the garage who done my headgasket said it was airlock.
  23. drewbee

drewbee Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    dis wasnt warning me anything, if my water was low, the guy who did my belt would of seen and told me. :(
  24. drewbee

drewbee Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    car has been sold now (webuyanycar.com) - so everything is sorted!

i dont think the head gasket was on its way out a long time ago as the car was running fine, i watch my fluid levels frequently and i only had 54k on the clock, never abused the car, full audi service history, maintained regardless of cost.

oh well, lesson learnt.
  25. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Jul 4, 2010]
    Ouch! We buy any car....hate to think what they gave you for it!
  26. A4 nut

A4 nut Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
  27. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jul 4, 2010]
    Have to agree 100% there, I've worked on a number of members cars, but it all comes down to knowing your limits & what you can do properly, I would hazard a guess he really doesnt do this day in day out, so maybe looked to make a few bucks.
  28. 1wheelonly

[Jul 4, 2010]
    a4 nut, when you thinkin of and do you like red ones ??
  29. polar

polar Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    My car is a 3.0, Cambelt cost £650 plus I had a service and a Hydraulic tensioners changed. At least with Audi you get a proper job with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.
  30. A4 nut

A4 nut Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    I cant afford your prisssteeeen motor insurance bumbed me over got to start from scratch somthing cheaper about £1 more than we buyanycar.com
  31. NHN

[Jul 4, 2010]
    Sly dog
  32. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Jul 4, 2010]

...come on, join the B5 Heads...
  33. A4 nut

A4 nut Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    The best RS4's i would love one but ive got a suprise lined up !
  34. 1wheelonly

[Jul 4, 2010]
    j7, i am joining ya but in the form of a b7 mate......
  35. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Jul 5, 2010]
    Cant wait to see this!!
  36. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 5, 2010]
    Joining as in an RS4 type way....?
  37. NHN

[Jul 5, 2010]
    That would be correct with his hairdressers bag aswell.