best xenon bulb for 2016

S3eddiet

Reaction score
hi folks,
I am looking to change the xenon bulbs in my 2007 s3 as they are not the best for running in and out the road in dark places and one of them does flicker when first turned on but turn off and back on and it if fine.
what do you recommend i go for?

Is this this best i could go for?
Osram D2S Night Breaker Unlimited Xenarc

Its a very good bulb if you have the budget so go for it :) I use CBi's in my own car which is a lot whiter.

you could also do the clear lens mod on your xenons to improve things even further.

Trups

I just tried to fit my new bulbs but can't seem to get the starter out.
All the videos I have see show the cover to the bulb pops off from the top but my cover has a metal clip at one side securing the cover, undo clip and cover slides to the side to open, silver box inside with 2 clips down the side, undo clips but nothing moves do now I am stuck so help needed please..

Attachments

• 20160119_170458.jpg
    20160119_170458.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
Those 2 rings that you have shown in your pic should just pinch together while pushing down slightly then it will release the bulb/starter.

Those 2 rings that you have shown in your pic should just pinch together while pushing down slightly then it will release the bulb/starter.

I had the spring clips off but still could not get the bulb out, I am now thinking I have the wrong bulbs grrr can someone confirm please, I just have bulbs with no starter attached so do I need the ones with the starter attached to the bulb or does the bulb come out 9f the starter?

Bulbs are D2S!

Do you think it's just got stuck as it's been in situ for a while ? once the spring clip is undone the little unit should come out. were you able to feel any movement on it at all once you undone the retaining spring ?

Yes there is movement with clips off and could also see the bit inside light moving from the front of light

d2s turn slightly to the left when viewed from the back to release

So going by my pic above I have the wrong bulbs is this correct?
Do I need to change them for bulbs that have the bit attached to them in my pic?

you have the wrong bulbs.. you need D1s not D2s. d2s are just bulbs and d1s have a built in ignitor which is that square silver base. i changed mine on my 07 s3 last month

you have the wrong bulbs.. you need D1s not D2s. d2s are just bulbs and d1s have a built in ignitor which is that square silver base. i changed mine on my 07 s3 last month

Aye I did sort of suss that out after getting hand stuck and scraped to bits lol
Returning the d2s today so hope to have D1S for the weekend

Hi, well I fitted my d1s bulbs tonight but my lights are still very poor and only light up the road by around 2 to 3 car lengths at the most.
Anyone got any ideas as to what could be the problem or what I should do?
When car was in audi for service I asked them to check the hight of light been but they said nothing was wrong so not sure on how to get this problem fixed.

Does low beam and high beam work?
Is the self levelling system working? Have a look at the arm sensor by the rear suspension, it may be broken.
Check for a good 12v. going into the lamp unit with the lights on. If the voltage is lower than 12v they are not going to work very well.

the lens inside the light could be dirty , before i replaced mine i cleaned the inside of the lens with a microfibre wrapped around a stick

Does low beam and high beam work?
Is the self levelling system working? Have a look at the arm sensor by the rear suspension, it may be broken.
Check for a good 12v. going into the lamp unit with the lights on. If the voltage is lower than 12v they are not going to work very well.

Scoot1
yes low and high beam work fine, lights are now less than 10ft in front of me on the road and dont move at all and look like they are ponting down as far as they can go, ill have to check the link on back arm in the morning and see if it is that.
Thanks for the info folks..