1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best short Shift?

Discussion in 'Tuning' started by Defratos, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

[Mar 13, 2005]
    Hey guys, I know a few of you have got short shifts put on and I was just wondering if someone could give me some feed back on any short shift they've tried. I've seen how a Neuspeed Short Shift Kit for the Golf Mk4 (V6 4motion) changes the throw of the car in between gear changes, and the car shifts a lot smoother. This is why I'm thinking of getting the neuspeed short shift and also because it fits on the TT/S3 as well. Here's a pic of how it looks, and help would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Mar 13, 2005]
    I have a B&M one on my A4. Works really well.
  4. Defratos

[Mar 15, 2005]
    B&M who are they? does the short shift look different to the pic? I mean is it that long metal pole looking thing? and has anyone tried the neuspeed short shift?
  5. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

[Mar 16, 2005]
    I have the Neuspeed Short Shift and I really like it!
  6. SyA3Turbo

SyA3Turbo Member

[Mar 16, 2005]
    Will a short shift make the gearchange more positive as well as reduce the throw? My A3 change feels a little plasticy and poor. I can pretty much forget about quick changes from 1-2 too.
  7. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Mar 16, 2005]
    How much was your Neuspeed one Imola if you don't mind me asking?
  8. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Mar 16, 2005]
    Who are B&M one of the biggest names in the business.

There short shist replaces the whole shifter not just one part. On the A4 u can decide how much you want to shorten the shift.

Demon tweeks and the like sell them.

Cheers
  9. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

[Mar 16, 2005]
  10. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Mar 16, 2005]
    Cheers Imola! :)
  11. pure

pure Member

[Mar 16, 2005]
    Is it worth the £145 tho Imola?
  12. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Mar 16, 2005]
    i got my neuspeed from awesome, replaces the the shifter, shortens the height of the shifter by about an inch and brings the shifter linkages so it shortens the movement too, i really like it, still has the oem gear nob and gater

i get a slight notch between first and second where the reverse is, but that is all i noticed otherwise it quickens shift dramatically from stock

B&M make billet ones, no experience with them but they have good reputation C&R or TSR sell them from flicking through their brochures a long time back.
  13. Drill

Drill Member

[Mar 17, 2005]
    I have the B&M shifter with the TT linkage on my TQ and while the TT linkage shortened the front to back, it didn't affect the side-to-side throw. The B&M Shortened shifting quite a bit in all directions. The B&M DID make shift feel a bit "Heavier" and I've read that some people don't like it, but I do. It's hard for me to explain, but before, shifting was like, Gear-pause-N-pause-Gear. With the TT linkage it was Gear-N-Gear and now with the B&M it's more like Gear-Gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck making sense of that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  14. Defratos

[Mar 17, 2005]
    [quote}
    There short shist replaces the whole shifter not just one part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short shist hehe, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif. lol, you guys decided to take your time in replying, or have I just been slow? Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'm going for the nuespeed one as I already know how to fit it and know the benefits, but does anyone have a website for B&M? Cheers
  15. Drill

Drill Member

[Mar 17, 2005]
    Sure thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.bmracing.com/

My TQ needed the 45114 (Shown below) and it says it fits 5 and 6 speed transmissions. The PROBLEM is in fitting the damned thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif To get underneath, Oettinger (Who fitted mine) had to unbolt the center support of the driveshaft /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Everything went OK, I just wouldn't recommend the "Hobbyist" do it themself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[​IMG]

Hope it helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  16. Defratos

[Mar 17, 2005]
    lol cheers Drill, so would it make sense to have a neuspeed short shift in combination with a B&M one?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif(can't get enough of this froggie, I just luv 'em)
  17. Drill

Drill Member

[Mar 18, 2005]
    Well dude, if I were you I'd get / fit the Neuspeed linkage. Then see how you like it. If it's still not short enough, THEN look into a lever replacement (Like the B&M).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif
  18. Defratos

[Mar 18, 2005]
    yeah dude, I think that sounds best to tell you the truth. Hey does B&M do a replacement lever for the S3?
  19. Triple_A

Triple_A Member

[Mar 18, 2005]
  20. Drill

Drill Member

[Mar 18, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah dude, I think that sounds best to tell you the truth. Hey does B&M do a replacement lever for the S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't specify the S3 but I'm 98% sure the S uses the same lever as the A3 and since they mention that the 45114 works for 5 & 6 speed A3's I'm pretty sure you'll need that one.

Did I mention that the driveshaft center support needs to come out so the driveshaft drops enough to get around it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif That was one of the reason's I had Oettinger fit mine for me. But other than that, it didn't look too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

21. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Mar 18, 2005]
    I would just go for the B & M instead of buying the neuspeed link and risking not liking it and then buying the B & M one anyway.

Cheers
  22. Drill

Drill Member

[Mar 18, 2005]
    I don't know dude. I've seen posts from more people with just the linkage. Not too many of us have gone down the B&M route. And also, the Neuspeed linkage is easily installed whereas I needed Oettinger to finally get mine on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and the linkage would shorten the shift (Which is the desired effect). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    As I said, I went for the TT linkage so am not sure how much the Neuspeed part is (Although Neuspeed is never cheap) but I DO know that the B&M cost me right around $200 which I had thought was a bit pricey.

Maybe we can get some input from those with the Neuspeed or DieselGeek linkages?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Oh, and I have some pics of my B&M @ home. So this should give me the motivation required to finally post them up sometime this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

23. imported_grantos

imported_grantos Guest

[Mar 18, 2005]
    We do an EIP Short Shoft that costs £85+VAT
  24. Drill

Drill Member

[Mar 18, 2005]
    Which is it? Transmission Linkage or Shift Lever Replacement??

25. Drill

Drill Member

[Mar 18, 2005]
    Answered my own question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Linkage type: [​IMG]

26. Triple_A

Triple_A Member

[Mar 18, 2005]
    Does that EIP shifter fit to 1999 S3?
  27. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[Mar 19, 2005]
    tried the neuspeed and absolutely hated it.

ive never been more happy than how i am with my standard linkage back in.
  28. Defratos

[Mar 19, 2005]
    Hey Paul, what didn't you like about the Neuspeed short shift? was there anything in particular? and what standard linkage have u gone back to (Ome)?
  29. Defratos

[Mar 20, 2005]
    I'm not sure Paul, I mean the oem gear shift as it currently stands couldn't be any worse in my opinion I mean, when changing up gears hard from 1st gear up to 4th the RPM just falls back down to nearly 2000 rpm every time u change up gears, now that's just silly, a neuspeed short shift should Defiantly sort it out, I mean I've had first hand experience with this product as well, but on a V6 4motion and trust me it changed the acceleration by a long long way, honestly you do not feel a single thing when changing up gears just the speed keeps on coming whereas on an oem S3 shift it's more like change gears (WAIT A COUPLE OF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif MINUTES) turbo kicks in and you're off again, I just don't like that seriouse turbo lag, any GTI could take you on if he's a decent enough driver. (this is though just my opinion, anyone feel free to criticise) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif