Best road in Britain

gtdog

Reaction score
Website
www.premierseaschool.co.uk
I have always wondered where the best driving is to be had in this congested underfunded country of ours?
I have always enjoyed the A32 Fareham-Alton run nice and windy with good straights and scenery, my wife loves the A27 from Portsmouth-Chichester as it is a fast road without sliproads and few police cars.
Another favorate is the A road from the end of the M27 to Bournemouth through the New Forest.
Any suggestions and reasons? I fancy a last driving holiday before our child is due in five weeks, I need your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally, I prefer slower, but more twisty and undulating roads. Shame my suspension is still standard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
My favourites are in Snowdonia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (N Wales) and Mid Wales /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (A4069) followed by the Peak District /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
Usually most of the 'National Parks' have great roads, but you do not want to get caught up with the Holiday/Sunday brigade.

Best roads are North Wales and Scotland. There is a video of me and others on Gaunty's server enjoying the latter...

Sheesh You mean I need to run all the way to North Wales to find a good road?
There must be some fun ones on the mainland?
Anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Couldnt agree with you more, thats why it is wifeys fav, near 8mths pregnant she doesnt like curves too much at the mo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Another of my best is the A35 from Poole toward Exiter etc, a lovely road and often fairly light traffic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Bushy and his magic chemicals! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
Sounds like a drug induced cleaning binge!
My plan is to leave Hampshire on the A35 toward Honiton, then find a route toward that reccomended above for N wales, then on and up toward Cumbria for the sweet old roads there, I just have the route from there north, then accros country to the East and down the Eastern coast to Dover to sort. Any help would be appreciated guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
One last Benzidrene assisted 24hr run before parenthood smacks me with responsibility! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

The roads that wind through Salisbury Plains are pretty good watch out for tanks crossing though!! Also any road that is relatively straight at 2am in the morning is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wellesley Road/Bourley Road

Road Number:
Dunno!
Start:
Aldershot
End:
Fleet (Church Crookham)

Notes:
Head through Farnboro' on the main drag and hit the the duel-carriageway towards Aldershot Tesco. At the Wellington roundabout at the end, turn right onto Wellesley road. This is a short(2.5miles), but great piece of road, with dips, short hills and tight bends. It runs through army land between Beacon Hill and Farnboro' Airport.

Cameras:

No cameras but watch out for Hampshire Police Volvos, BMWs and the Subaru Forester which all use the road as part of their Aldershot-F'bro'-Fleet surpression...er,sorry... "patrol" circuit!

Condition:

Tarmac good, few pot holes.

Traffic:

Little traffic, but frustrating if caught behind a slow car as there are few overtaking ops'.

Hills:

Sharp dips and rises, Great fun!

Bends:

Mostly sweeping on the first section, moving into an unexpected "Alpine" style latter section with a selection of tight jobs!

Scenery:

Dense woods, hills and fields.

Pubs & Grub:

The Tweeseldown Pub at the Fleet end, Anything in Aldershot town the other

Alton to Fareham

Road Number:
A32
Start:
A31 Alton
End:
Fareham

Notes:
Good alternative to the M3/A3 for getting to the south coast. Very, very fast in places with good overtaking oppotunities. Sundays are popular with the bikers, it crosses the A272 at West Meon Hut. When traveling south you can turn off towards Bishops Waltham at the roudabout in Corehampton. (Another good stretch of about 7 miles) Alton to Fareham is about 20-25 miles and can be dispatched in indecent time!

Cameras:

No static that I'm aware of! No doubt Hampshires Mobile units do spend some time along here, although I haven't seen them yet!

Condition:

A little rough through Farringdon, almost ideal for most of it.

Traffic:

Good at most times, favoured by the numpties in the summer & bikers love their Sunday mornings.

Hills:

A few hills, it follows the Meon Valley

Bends:

Some good bends at each end and some very fast straights through the middle section, not normally too far from an overtake oppotunity.

Scenery:

Pubs & Grub:

Some good pubs in most of the villages you travel through.

Under the South Downs

Road Number:
A22/B2116
Start:
Lewes
End:
Clayton

Notes:
No petrol stations and a picturesque village to negotiate (slowly, 20mph + humps) and shortish -- 25 minutes will do it. This road combines hills, fast and slow bends and, while it's not partiocularly quick, it's often empty and there are plenty of overtaking spots. Turn left in Ditchling and stay on main road, ignoring left-hand turn-off to the beacon.

Cameras:

Condition:

You can ground on one or two of the corners -- be aware.

Traffic:

Most empty, depends (as ever) on time of day. Early morning is good.

Hills:

Black ice can lie under overhanging trees in winter.

Bends:

Good TVR road, one or two straights to wind up the wick

Scenery:

Ditchling's three pubs!

Pubs & Grub:

A350

Road Number:
A350
Start:
Poole
End:
Chippenham

Notes:
Main route from South to West of England

Cameras:

A few fixed cameras near Poole, some hidden in bushes!

Condition:

Low

Traffic:

A few caravans in the summer but lots of overtaking opportunities

Hills:

Some parts can get black ice

Bends:

Scenery:

Not much

Pubs & Grub:

Just in case you break down

A272 Meon Hut

Road Number:
A272
Start:
Winchster
End:
Midhurst

Notes:
This drive is a nice quick one if the roads are empty but overtaking spots are fairly rare if traffic is heavy - Lots of swooping challenging bends ending in decent straights make for a very enjoyable drive if traffic is light. Petrol Station at "Meon Hut" and Petersfield - Fernhurst is close by if you fancy having a look at a possible new chariot and even more useful if something falls off your car on the way up there!! I've been driving this road for years and never seen any police but beware as there are camera signs as you close on Midhurst and rumour has it they do patrol this road.

Cameras:

Mobile

Condition:

Only if you drive off the road into a side turning

Traffic:

Bikers galore all the time - Caravans lorries etc from time to time

Hills:

Good road all year round

Bends:

Good for any car/bike as it has long straights and nice bends

Scenery:

Pubs & Grub:

Exmoor Coast Road

Road Number:
A39
Start:
Lynmouth
End:
Porlock

Notes:
As a frequent visitor to the Welsh mountains for drving thrills, I have a good benchmark for what makes a decent driver's road. Tiff picked a crosscounrty route through Exmoor as his favourite, but his (A396) is a potholed nightmare with no decent overtaking, poor visibility and overhanding trees. I'll take the great climbs, swooping bends and open views on the A39 coast road instead thanks. The road has everything you could want for a great blat, and outside the middle of the day, is pretty clear, even in the summer. A great loop from the M5 can be made by leaving at Taunton and heading up over the Brendon Hills (itself a good run) and then running West to East along the coast. Lynmouth is a pretty retarded seaside town where the shop owners are grumps and most of the visitors old. Porlock is better, but TBH, the better services are in Minehead or Ilfracombe beyond the start and end of the 'good bits'. I tend to do a run from home (Bath) in the mid-afternoon and blat the loop pulling onto Minhead seafront for Fish'n'Chips at tea time. Rarely meet more than about 10 cars in 40 miles.

Cameras:

Condition:

Much of the Brendon Hills road has been resurfaced. The A39 is mostly good, with a few rougher bits nearer to Porlock. Sheep roam at either end of the A39.

Traffic:

Just avoid the peak 'going to the beach' times.

Hills:

Porlock Hill is famous for it's loony incline and hairpins. Worth doing a few times over!

Bends:

Scenery:

Pubs & Grub:

See notes for food advice ... I've not yet found anything decent in Lynton or Porlock. Watchet beyond the Porlock end has a few nice grub pubs off the beaten path

Reactions: S3_Mat
The Combe

Road Number:
B4040
Start:
Old Sodbury
End:
Castle Combe

Notes:
Relativley short run with lost of nice swooping bends and long straights for overtaking. There are a couple of villages which should be taken with care, but they simply make a nice punctuation to a nice drive.

Cameras:

Generally no cameras but there are infrequent speed traps, usually on bike racing days

Condition:

Just the occasional (usual!)pot hole

Traffic:

Generally very light though race days do mean traffic

Hills:

Gently undulating

Bends:

Couple of tricky ones with manholes to catch out the unwary

Scenery:

none in particular

Pubs & Grub:

including the 'Old House at home' in Burton which was awarded best pub food in the country a couple of years ago.

'The British Highway One' - C&SC Magazine

Road Number:
B3157
Start:
Weymouth
End:
Bridport

Notes:
The Coast Road from Weymouth to Bridport, via Portesham Abbotsbury and Burton Bradstock. Good (ie. more fun) alternative to A35. Swooping roads, sea views etc. Plenty of touristy things to do on route. Timing critical to avoid Grockles.

Cameras:

Condition:

Traffic:

In summer, on a sunny day you'll have no hope. Out of season though... :)

Hills:

Bends:

Good mixture of corners, several opportunities for 'air'.

Scenery:

Great views from top of hill outside Abbotsbury.

Pubs & Grub:

Plenty of village pubs doing food in summer. Ice cream vans in laybys.

Salisbury to Dorchester

Road Number:
A354
Start:
Salisbury
End:
Dorchester

Notes:
Cracking road, a quicker alternative into Dorset from London (via A303) than going all the way down the M3 and across the New Forest. Very few dawdlers except for farm traffic. 24hrs petrol @ Tescos in Blandford. Plenty of over taking spots. Picturesque villages and scenery.

Cameras:

Condition:

Not enough traffic to wear it out...

Traffic:

Hills:

Bends:

Scenery:

Goes past Westover TVR.

Pubs & Grub:

Several pubs en route but never stopped in any of them

Cotswold blast

Road Number:
B4077
Start:
Stanway
End:
Burford

Notes:
Stanway on B4077. Steep, winding section up Cotswold escarpment. Series of long straights and twisty bits to Stow-on-the-Wold. A429 through village then left onto A424 to Burford. More of the same, but wider, more sweeping, faster road. End at Burford with A40 access to Oxford. This is a good way to get from Oxford (M40/London) into Worcestershire/Gloucestershire area or vice versa. Also a good way to see some beautiful countryside and villages. Burford has a couple good restaurants, tea shops, who knows? Maybe even pies...

Cameras:

Actually no camers, but plod have been spotted lurking in the undergrowth...

Condition:

low

Traffic:

Nope

Hills:

Any snow on the ground, or heavy rain and freezing, forget about it.

Bends:

Is even fun in a VW Polo.

Scenery:

Pubs & Grub:

A515

Road Number:
A515
Start:
Buxton
End:
Ashbourne

Notes:
Nice open road with great visibility. A bit of it is an old Roman road it's well worth a blast.

Cameras:

Not seen any yet - nor much of a police presence

Condition:

Traffic:

Hills:

Bends:

Scenery:

Open countryside

Pubs & Grub:

Boroughbridge Road

Road Number:
A168
Start:
A1 junction to Harrogate
End:
A168 junction of A1

Notes:
Not too long but avoids the A1. Runs alongside the A1 for around 10 miles, the tarmac is excellent. Had 135 out of the Griff and the ride was smooth. Theres a few roundabouts, but the police are always on the A1 and never bother with the back road

Cameras:

Yeeehhhhaaaaa

Condition:

None

Traffic:

There's the occasional rep mobile but most cars I've seen are like minded sports car drivers

Hills:

Its near the Cleveland Hills

Bends:

Braking... A little dab'll do ya

Scenery:

No real comment here, I'm always too busy

Pubs & Grub:

You might need a short after a serious session

Cat and Fiddle Road

Road Number:
A537
Start:
Macclesfield
End:
Buxton

Notes:
20 miles. Watch out for sheep as they are not fenced in. There are plenty of other cool roads nearby that are great for cars, not so good for bikes or the porsche/ferrari brigade as they are mostly too twisty but caterhams, rally cars or standard motors will love them (especially the one way section through the Goyt Valley)

Cameras:

More and more pigs with lazer guns to stop bikers. Moves to reduce limit to 50. Watch out for the lazer trap they usually put coming into the town (Macc) as the limit goes from 60 to 30.

Condition:

You wont ground out on this road but there are a few hairy moments to be had.

Traffic:

Sundays are choca with bikers but most of the time traffic is pretty light

Hills:

In winter it closes quite frequently. It can also be icy.

Bends:

Starts off quite twisty then straightens out. Watch out for bikers on the wrong side of the road on blind bends.

Scenery:

The scenery is great all the way and on all the surrounding roads.

Pubs & Grub:

The Cat and Fiddle half way along. 2nd highest pub in England.

Spurn Point

Road Number:
A1033
Start:
Hedon
End:
Withernsea (via Spurn Point)

Notes:
As you head out of Hull eastbound towards the coast, pick up the A1033 at Hedon. This is fairly lightly trafficked and offers some fun fast stretches with some surprisingly challenging bends. Not the best if you get clogged up behind a box as visibility can be poor so choose your time well. Lots of villages along the route also cut down the average speed but these are usually pleasent places with plenty of pit stops. At Patrington, take the B1445 towards Spurn Point. This is usually deserted and offers greater thrills than the main road. Not high speed stuff but challenging corners and lots of rewarding corner sequences. Again plenty of villages but all are small and are passed quickly. When you reach Easington, take a right towards Spurn Point, its only a couple of miles but is great fun. Have a wander when you get to the end, its one of the weirdest places I've ever been. Backtrack to Easington and carry on up the coast, taking the back roads towards Withernsea. Large and exotic stuff need not bother as its narrow, often tight and not much above 3rd gear. It is, however, great fun, as the flat land gives good visibility and the winding road throws up some real scalextric thrills. Have a stop at Withernsea and let your brakes cool down, constant braking and shifting will reveal faults in lesser cars.

Cameras:

Never seen any even thought there are lots of villages

Condition:

Main roads are fine although narrower roads later on can get craggy

Traffic:

Mid week main roads will be lightly trafficked, narrow stuff is virtually deserted

Hills:

The occasional lump, nuch of it is flat as a fart out here

Bends:

Gets twistier as you go along and the roads get narrower.

Scenery:

not earth shattering but nice rolling countryside

Pubs & Grub:

Plenty of potential stops along the way

North Yorks Moors

Road Number:
A169
Start:
Pickering
End:
Whitby

Notes:
Make sure you don't come during holidays or at weekends! This will spoil your enjoyment of this marvellous road. Extremely fast but with some fast bends and other tricky slow ones down in the dips over small bridges. Great visibility on most sections and a reasonable surface for most of the journey. Traffic and bad weather can take its toll though. One of the highlights is a 'reverse Eau Rouge', a fast downhill stretch followed by a fast left down a dip that compresses over a bridge at the apex and followed by a long uphill blat. I once watched a spiritedly pedalled Pug 504 barge get it very wrong here!!! Plenty of amenities at either end but only sheep, the occasional spooky looking pub and Fylingdales in the middle. Distance is about 20 miles and you can reward yourself with an ice cream in Whitby when you've finished

Cameras:

Although watch for mobile plods during busier times

Condition:

Quite a busy road at certain times so it needs to be good

Traffic:

Horrible during holiday periods and weekends. Make sure its a weekday evening!!

Hills:

Are you kidding??

Bends:

Although a very fast stretch, some challenging corners in between

Scenery:

Very picturesque. Lovely mix of moorland, valleys and villages

Pubs & Grub:

Plenty at either end and a couple of famous ones in between

'Stump Cross Caverns'

Road Number:
B6265
Start:
Grassington
End:
Blubberhouses

Notes:
This route starts off on the B6265, at Grassington, but leaves it at Greenhow Hill and takes an unclassified road down to Bludderhouses. Don't worry, the unclassified road is wider than the 6265! Both stretches are very fast indeed with plenty of overtaking opportunities. Some big hills and stomach churners but nothing to wipe off your exhaust. The second road offers 3 good right handers that with practice can be taken at 85+ although you'd never believe it to look at them. A bit of local knowledge and confidence helps to get the best from the road as there are some blind crests and hidden junctions. Total distance is about 16 miles but is over in no time. No civilisation to speak of in between but Pateley Bridge, Harrogate and Otley aren't too far away. When you've conquered this one, head a couple of miles up the road and enjoy the roads around the Menwith Hill base. Stil fast but with more bends. Enjoy...

Cameras:

It's out in the sticks!

Condition:

Pretty good considering it distance from civilisation

Traffic:

The only time to avoid would be Sunday afternoons.

Hills:

This is North Yorkshire!

Bends:

Quite straight for most parts but some great corners on the second section

Scenery:

Up in the clouds in Upper Wharfedale

Pubs & Grub:

A couple of pubs between start and finish point

Snake Pass

Road Number:
A57
Start:
Glossop
End:
Sheffield

Notes:
This road is good in both directions and it's best between Ladybower reservoir and Glossop. There are no petrol stations on the road except for at the start and end. The best bit is about 30 minutes or less although Sheffield to Glossop is about 45 minutes. This road can be busy, especially at the weekends. Big lorries don't use it because it's too narrow and twisty and most cars don't go fast on it so it's usually easy to overtake. As with any road, drive it slowly the first time. There is a regular supply of new car wrecks on this road, often at the bottom of a steep valley.

Cameras:

Condition:

There's a bit of subsidence in places, take off is all too easy at one spot.

Traffic:

Avoid the weekends unless it's too early or late for tourists. Hardly any trucks, lots of bikes at the weekend.

Hills:

Can be blocked in winter. Autumn at night is the best time because you can see car headlights from further away.

Bends:

Mostly narrow and twisty but with enough overtaking spots if you know where they are. Great for smaller cars, TVR's may have a few anxious moments. Ferraris would probably be the slowest thing on this road!

Scenery:

Ladybower reservoir where they practiced using the bouncing bomb. World War II plane wrecks at the top of the Snake Pass.

Pubs & Grub:

There's loads of stuff in Glossop. Half way along is the Snake Inn and then after the right turn over the bridge to Hathersage there's another pub.

A68

Road Number:
A68
Start:
Darlington
End:
Edinburgh

Notes:
Fun alternative to A1. Got a bit of everything. Some bits are accident blackspots with plenty of signs to remind you how many accidents that year etc.

Cameras:

Keep your eye out and they're fairly obvious, usually position in places where there are good overtaking opportunities.

Condition:

Traffic:

You might hit holiday traffic depending on the time of year.

Hills:

Bends:

Scenery:

Pubs & Grub:

A few pubs scattered along the way

Ghyryd Mountain Road

Road Number:
NA
Start:
Cwmllynfell
End:
Rhydyfro

Notes:
This is moorland type road located on top of a hill in the Swansea Valley. Its is a single track road, but has hardly any traffic on it, just the occasional farm vehicle. As for the driving experience, it offers a very technical challenge, and a bag full of nerve! It's best driven North to South and starts with a twisty uphill section including a couple of hairpins, then levels out into 5 miles of twisty, dipped bends. Visibility is indifferent, its not hedges, trees or bildings that stop you seeing round the next bend it's just so damn undulated, which really makes it a great road. It will really teast your braking power and driving skill to the limit. This road is about 5 miles from the Black Moutain road and offers a very different challenge! There are plenty of pubs and a petrol station located in nearby Pontardawe and the City of Swansea is 20 mins away.

Cameras:

Condition:

Traffic:

Hills:

Bends:

Scenery:

Pubs & Grub:

Black Mountain

Road Number:
A4069
Start:
Llangadog
End:
Brynamman

Notes:
So this is the greatest driving road in South Wales ... the almost lgendary Black Mountain Road from Llangadog to Brynamman. True to form, Mark and I are sharing the road with convoys of bikers, and the poor unfortunate tourists that are actually using the road to get from A-to-B! I have been looking forward to driving this route all week. It has been commented upon often, and earlier in the week an escapee from ScoobyNet made comments about it with some great photos. The climb heading South is typical Brecon Beacons with a diagonal line making a steep ascent with a couple of hairpins thrown in. Always a good excuse for first gear! There is a nice tight corner with a little bridge on the ascent too. If you are lucky, nothing will be coming the other way. There's great visibility to check. Up on the moor, and passed the Park Wardens making sure we don't infect the sheep, the road gets super-duper-fun. In contrast to other routes that straighten and just roll up and down, the A4069 makes a snaking progress with some corking corners. No time for vertigo, the route just keeps beckoning with a succession of thrills. Great visibility almost entirely throughout make this an almost perfect road. Nice width, goood surface, great challenges but with plenty of notice of oncoming traffic and wandering sheep.

Cameras:

Condition:

Rough edges, some rocks just off shoulder.

Traffic:

Hills:

Brecon Beacons National Park.

Bends:

Scenery:

Pubs & Grub:

Sweety shop in Brynamman, pubs in Llangadog.

PHEW!

Hope there is something there for everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks moresauce!
Great accounts, and info.
Now I just need the Eastern side of England to complete the route! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Moresauce, thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
Thats me just about done for the route now!
Anyone else fancey coming along for the hell of it?
Oh and after you with the nick-name thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif