BEST POLISH FOR SEPANG BLUE ?

Brian Anderson

Reaction score
I'm getting a new a5 in sepang blue next week and was wondering what is the best polish to keep a good shine and really bring out the colour ?

Can anyone recomend anything ?

Personally I wouldn't be rushing to polish a brand new car. I'd be decontaminating it and then a good sealant/wax and using a polish when imperfections like swirl marks show.

I'm getting a new a5 in sepang blue next week and was wondering what is the best polish to keep a good shine and really bring out the colour ?

Can anyone recomend anything ?
This site could be your friend Brian ;)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

I have a feeling you mean what wax as opposed to what Polish

I would say it all Depends on how deep your pockets are my friend ;)

Thanks for your help :) as it is a new car I'm wanting to keep it highly maintained the Audi dealer says it's coming with Guard X and a protective coating. I'm just wanting to make sure I have good knowledge on the detailing and not ruining the paintwork.

sorry for my lack of knowledge lol but I assume waxing and polishing doesn't need to be done all the time just various stages

Thanks

Hi Brian, If it was me I'd rather put it to a detailer and have them prep and protect it rather than the dealers guard x.
If you aren't wanting to do much to the car than washing I'd go for g techniq or the equivalent which should see it last for 2 years

I did a brand new 8V S3 2 weeks ago. It was picked up on the Friday and came to me on the Wednesday and you would of thought that the there wouldnt of been alot of swirls or paint imperfections.......to be honest I was surprised at how many there were so it goes to show even when brand new dealership washing techniques and new car prep isnt good as it should be. CQuartz was used on the paintwork and GTechniq on the wheels.

polish isn't colour dependent.

if you meant a wax, or other coating for your car, then, again the answer is... it isn't colour dependant.

for something that is cheap, easy to use and lasts a long time, I would go for FK1000P.

it can be used on your paint and wheels... and used correctly, is very quick and lasts for ever... (6 months at least, plus the tin is HUGE!!)

as noted above, your 'brand new' car paint will have marks, swirls and contamination on it already.... it's very rare that a new car is a) brand new (think of the journey it takes via road, rail and sea to get to this country) and b) without marks.

if you're new to "detailing" I wouldn't worry about a few swirls here and there... a 100% swirl free daily car is just a pain in the backside to own...

Reactions: jaykay8L
Have a look at Dodo Juice waxes and polishes. I polished and waxed mine yesterday.
I used Lime and prime polish and Hard candy wax and its given the best finish from anything I've used before. Its also really nice stuff to work with. Really easy to apply and buff off. And it smells really nice. I just bought a panel pot of the hard candy which cost £6. I waxed the car twice and still have 50% left.

DONT USE A POLISH, USE A WAX OR GLAZE. POLISHES ARE ABRASIVE.

And ditch the coating the dealer wants to apply................

If you want it swirl free then clean the car yourself and not let the dealers loose with dirty rags on it.
My Sepang S3 came without ANY swirls on it and seven months on still doesn't have any. Gets cleaned a minimum of once a week.

I can say that Sepang is not an easy colour to maintain.

I would recommend taking your car to a well known detailer and get a hard wearing ceramic coating such as CQUK or Gtechniq C1+Exo. It will help stop the paint from scratching/swirling as easily and bring out the colour as good as, or better than top waxes. You could put wax ontop of that too if you really wanted.

As others said, Supaguard, GuardX or any of the usual dealer prep is usually pretty poor.

I have asked the dealer not to touch mine prep wise as I will do it my self I have chemical guys SS6 to put on it for its first detail realy looking forward to it even going to take a few days off work so I can spend a good couple of days detailing it.

Get yourself a bottle of Autoglym SRP or a bottle of Autofinesse Tripple, they are all in one (AIO) products.
Once polished seal in all that hard work with a nice wax of your choice. Soft99 King Of Gloss (Dark) , will look nice on that colour (3 months durability) of go for a nice show wax like ODK Sterling, less durability but a bit more bling.

Bin the AG SRP it's polish, polishes are all abrasive and should only be used for remedial work.

Agreed no need to use srp on a brand new car.
Sorry but that's rubbish! Plenty of new cars are supplied in an absolutely shocking condition. Heavy handed dealership valeters can cause damage without even trying and there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a bit of SRP. I've seen new cars that require serious correction (Lamborghini are one of the worst) so to simply say new cars won't require any sort of polishing is wrong.
OP - Assess the paint condition under a couple of light sources and see if there are any swirls etc, my guess would be there almost certainly are. Petrol forecourt lights will really show up any defects. If there are then you could use SRP to hide them. Yes it's listed as a polish but it has an extremely low abrasive quality and is mainly a filler that will temporarily hide light defects rather than remove them so don't be scared off. Personally I would use something like 50cal filler glaze instead, just because it gives better filling properties but honestly don't be afraid you're going to remove loads of clear coat by using SRP! Obviously either way I'd suggest you do a decontamination as others have mentioned first as the car will have picked up iron and tar deposits in the process of getting to the dealership....

Reactions: Jassyo06, RobbieWebs, scotty76 and 2 others
I agree totally 100% with Leebo310

Autoglym SRP just won Polish of the Year for the 3rd time in a row (maybe 4th) on Detailing World too
It's a fantastic product!!!

Reactions: Leebo310
I don't understand how it can win polish of the year when it has lots of fillers in it.
A polish to me is a product with abrasives used to remove defects, wipe off.not to cover them with fillers ...

I don't understand how it can win polish of the year when it has lots of fillers in it.
A polish to me is a product with abrasives used to remove defects, wipe off.not to cover them with fillers ...

Hi Autoglym SRP does contain light abrasives and is also filler heavy.
There is a long old debate to whether SRP is a polish. It's an All In One (AIO) polish, It cleans , It fills , it protects.

It's one of the best hand polishes / products on the market, it's resonably priced and it's also very,very good.
There are a few well known machine polishes out there that also have filling capabilites too

Reactions: Bristle Hound
SRP, Super Resin Polish, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be a duck!

Polishes are great but only for remedial work, SRP is great, I have a bottle in my garage. But for swirl removal there are better products.

I've bought loads of new cars and I must be damn lucky, I make sure the dealer doesn't clean them and I've managed to avoid buying a car with swirls. The cleaners (they cant be called detailers or even valeters) that the dealers use are rubbish. Look at the cars in their showrooms, absolutely shocking.
On a personal note if I went to pick up my new car and it had swirls on it, I'd walk away.

Last edited: