1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place for service items?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Fat Tony, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony New Member

Hey all, my 2001 s3 has jus clocked over 100k:sorry: and is also telling me its time for a service, i really cant afford to take it anywhere and want to do it myself as im not too bad with a spanner (fitted an audi 16v engine to my 1.6 golf driver:readit: ) can anyone suggest wheres best to go for the parts needed like oils etc from the following items from the service FAQ on here, and how much roughly each item may be? If theres enough input on prices etc maybe this can even be a FAQ. many thanks for any help, James
  2. S3 GAZ

S3 GAZ Member

any Audi Parts department, GSF Or Eurparts for filters and plugs for service parts

Halfords for oil if its on special or i use www.Opieoils.co.uk who will supply you with engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, coolant all for very competitive if not the cheapest prices.
  3. Fat Tony

Fat Tony New Member

Im NEVER gunna use euro car parts again, was disgusted with the service and their inablility to send the correct parts..... when u think u are saving money with the prices they offer and then end up payin so much more in phone bills and returned items which are still replaced with wrong ones after explaining exactly what i need to the useless fool on the phone who thinks he knows everything about every car and is a top mechanic because he works behind the counter of a parts dept:motz: grrrr, sorry rant over, i dont like ECP!

Are gsf items suitable and quality enough to use on a car i just spent nearly a years wages on?? VAG dealer parts are so expensive!

I have heard good things about opie:respekt: will visit my local shop

Bit of a poll, main dealer service items against the cheaper alternative (gsf etc) thanks:icon_thumright:
  4. simch

simch Active Member

GSF service parts shouold be original equip items, Mann filters they sell are bteer than Audi ones IMO! They stopped doing quantam oil which was a steal compared to dealers, but they now do Total stuff that is equivalent.
    Still have VAG coolant though.
    Have you had a cambelt service on your car yet? If not, this would be a wise thing to do ASAP.
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Audi don't make any of these parts, they are just rebadged with the 4 rings and the price doubled for the privilege.
    GSF supply the original manufacturers parts - Mann filters, Jurid pads, Brembo discs etc. Very good in my opinion & very knowledgeable. Web site is shyte though.
  6. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

agree that gsf web site is v v poor. Just opened a store in huddersfield so that should save me a few miles to get bits.
  7. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

I don't think Audi actually charge that much for the general service bits. however if you want to save a bit get them from vagparts, I did last time I changed all the filters / dv etc.
  8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Audi only charge about 40% over the real price so well worth it for peace of mind that you're being totally ripped off.
    Case in point:
    Rear Discs & pads for my TDi:
    Audi price £102.23 incl VAT
    GSF price £60.55 incl VAT
    These are the same parts, just not in an Audi box.