1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place for laptops?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by A3_Turbo, Feb 12, 2007.

1. A3_Turbo

A3_Turbo Swaying towards IHI....

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Looking to replace the PC for a laptop is the best place to go PC World?

Or is there any other better places?

Any-one using Vista yet?

Jason
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Dell or Sony! I wouldn't go near Pishy World.
  4. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Feb 12, 2007]
    John Lewis! Alot cheaper and have better deals!
  5. Mart

Mart Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    John Lewis are also known for doing 2 year warranty as standard, instead of the usual 1 year manufactuer.
    Although Dell have been known to have good deals online, depends what your after in a laptop I guess
  6. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    What is it you want the laptop for?

Dell are usually a good bet depending on your needs.

they also do a refurb site that has some fantastic deals on it.Still come with ful lwarranty etc
  7. A3_Turbo

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Dont need anything super dooper, Just need it for browsing the net download alot of music and possibly the odd game i might play on it.

I would go to dell but ive heard bad things about them?

Only want to spend about £550 to be honest,

Jason
  8. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    to be honest yo uwould get a perfectly fine laptop for about 300 that would give you a wireless connection, word etc on it with say a 100gig hard drive.

You wont really be able to play games on any laptop without spending about a grand(newer games that is, older ones will run fine on a lowish resolution).

It may be worth your while looking one out on ebay. Go for a centrino if you can get one as the battery life is great.

We've got 3 dell laptops in the house and they've all been fine. I've a high-spec toshiba that i built about 2 years ago and its also been superb, cant fault it at all.
  9. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

[Feb 12, 2007]
    I work for IBM, we do some good machines. We do a 3 year warranty, I am not a salesman i just working in Tech Support.
  10. mickey_a6

mickey_a6 Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Yep - Dell or Tosh would be your best bet - had various incarnations of both in our family, at home and at work, and both makes have been 100% reliable. Stay away from PC World, Currys etc. If you want to use all the features of the high-end versions of Vista, you'll need plenty of RAM and a decent graphics card, which will take you into more than a grand territory.
  11. Niknak

Niknak Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    I have an IBM and it's bullet proof
  12. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Which did a review of laptops and from memory PC World's own brand - Advent - came out worst in terms of reliability.
  13. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Oh yeah forgot to mention, dont use vista its an absolute waste of system resources unless you have a seriously quick machine(as said 1k plus on a laptop)
  14. coupe-se

coupe-se Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Can anyone put a link to something specific please!!! :icon_thumright:

The secretary where I work wants a laptop for Internet and Music downloading use as well and has a £450(ish) budget. She needs somewhere that will provide finance also. She need the laptop to have a cd burner and wi-fi capabilities as standard. Iv'e warned her that she'll need to buy a good internet secuirty/virus package as well. The endless options on the Dell site have rather confused her and doesn't know whats a good deal and decent spec.

I'm a Mac person and really not sure what constitutes a decent windows based machine now with so many diffrent chips sets etc on offer.

Any links to specific machines would be very much appreciated! :friends:
  15. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Feb 12, 2007]
  16. coupe-se

coupe-se Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Nice one!!! :icon_thumright:
  17. AudiSpeed28

AudiSpeed28 AudiSpeed

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Vista = the devil... TERRIBLE... go with the name brands for laptops... Dells are not bad at all if you're going to keep it simple... Sony's are FANTASTIC as well as Toshiba
  18. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Dont install Vista or get a machine with it on it unless its cost you in excess of 3K. As the system resources needed to run it at a decent speed are
    phenomenal
    . Needs a 128Mb Graphics Card. Not shared graphics memory like Curry's and such like will punt you with.
    As mentioned above working in IBM since Vista was publicly released we have had loads of people call in with problems with upgrading it. hardware not working /
    compatible.

What you need to remember is that the manufacturer of the machine will not support Vista so will not help you with any problems
    related
    to upgrading it. They will only support the OS that was installed when you bought the machine.
    You would need to phone Microsoft who may well tell you to sit and wait
    until
    they release patches that will allow you to use your hardware that worked fine with XP but not with Vista. I
    wouldn't
    go near Vista till at least SP1 has been released.
  19. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Seconded, its a waste of time running it on a laptop. I put it on a 3.4gig dual core desktop with 2 gig of ram and it still slowed the machine down, waste of time -

only benefit over xp is it looks prettier. And you can get Xpskins that make it look jsut liek vista, so no point.
  20. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Dell laptops are abysmal, steer well clear.
    If you're gonna actually be mobile with the laptop then stick with the vendors that actually know how to build a mobile device - Tosh, HP or IBM.
    If it's just to save room at home then the cheapo plastic rubbish from Dell or Acer loosely screwed together to last about 13 months should do you fine.
  21. john2garden

john2garden Gonad

22. AndyMac

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Yes dabs are excellent, PC World is possibly the worst place to buy anything unless it's 7.30pm and you need it that night.
  23. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[Feb 12, 2007]
    The Dell laptop I'm using now was bought new from eBay at a great price two years ago, and has never let me down. I would buy again from eBay - you're so spoilt for choice, you can simply cherry-pick new laptops from the best sellers.

As for the laptop itself, I swear by Dell and wouldn't look at anything else. In my last job I had a P4 2.8Ghz Dell laptop and after 2.5 years heavy use (everything from playing games - at home of course! - to SQL Server 2000 installed on it), it was still absolutely fine.
  24. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

[Feb 12, 2007]
    I agree PC world is the worst for PCs and Laptops (well for me anyway). I would say for laptops I'd go for : Dell, Toshiba, Sony and the Apple I mac thingy. I'm currently looking for a laptop and was going after Dell, anyone got any ideas if the Dell XPS laptop is as good as they say?
  25. Smudge973

Smudge973 Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    www.cclonline.co.uk - Great company, one of my customers and they have some great offers. Top notch service.
  26. EnzoS4

EnzoS4 Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    have a look at these site for some basic pricing:

http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

IBM or now known as Lenovo are very solid, but more business machines,
    HP and Tosh very good,
    Sony also good but expensive,
    Acer I do like for function and cost,
    Dell are OKish, but support and customer service will let you down. (sorry if anyone works for Dell)...

I don't work for any of these but do look at buying and testing some of these. Always go for the highest processor you can afford and then try and get some extra memory installed if you buy some other goodies (bag, extra psu and so on)...

good luck..
  27. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 12, 2007]
    I have 3 lappy's, one a prehistoric Toshiba that I take to work with me, an expensive Sony Viao lappy which I hardly use, cos the wireless is **** on it, keeps losing connection, when the old Tosh using a wireless card doesn't have this problem? And I recently purchased of a mate another Toshiba lappy with widescreen, 1gb Ram and uprated DVD RW drive for £270 - Bargain excellent for watching films and surfing.
  28. AndyMac

[Feb 12, 2007]
    "I swear by Dell and wouldn't look at anything else"
    So not at all blinkered then? If you don't look at anything else then I guess a Dell would look good.
  29. mickey_a6

mickey_a6 Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Sorry but I have to disagree - that is absolutely not my experience. Had 3 Dells in our household (Latitudes - the lighter weight, well built ones...) they take/took a serious hammering and not a single problem, until eventually the batteries go - like any rechargeable device - but those can be replaced. At work we have had a pool of about 50 Dell Latitudes that have gone out and back to many different users weekly/monthly over 3-4 years, reimaged regularly - absolutely bomb proof.

Personally I've used 2 Tosh M series (the 12" screen ultralightweight jobs) over the last 4 years which have also been completely reliable (if a little bit slow and the first one was feckin' expensive - but the battery life is excellent and they are light). That was only because Dell did not at the time make an ultralight with built in CD/DVD drive etc. whereas Tosh did. Sony laptops - totally unreliable - they should stick to Walkmans. You pays your money, you takes your choice - but I would certainly not rule out Dell based on (quite a bit of) personal experience.
  30. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Jason, scrap the laptop ill build you a half beast of a pc for £500
  31. KoFidee

KoFidee S-LINE VCDS Map User

[Feb 12, 2007]
    sony viao here excellent machine wi-fi good too

from laptops dirext as link in thread
  32. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Feb 13, 2007]
    What are the Apple notebooks like?
  33. coupe-se

coupe-se Member

[Feb 13, 2007]
    Absolutely SUPERB!!

My 13" 2Ghz notebook hasn't crashed or had any glitches in 7 months............ unlike my last windows based laptop. It is so easy to use once you break the years of brain-washing you get from using a windows based machine.
    It is as quick as the day I bought it whereas my windows based laptop seem to get slower over the months until I formattted it and did a laborious re-install.

The quality of the notebook itself is excellent and after 7 months of constanty use still looks new. I changed as quite a few of my friends had gone over to an Apple machine and raved about them. I was slightly hesitant but now realise just how good they are.
    I have had no security issues at all using the internet and don't get pop-ups or virus's and like most Mac users I do not use any secuirty software packages.

I would recommend one to anyone and everyone that has a play on my Apple notebook gets tempted to buy one themselves.
  34. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Feb 13, 2007]
    Hmmm i agree apple's will be reliable etc but to be honest they're overpriced and the equivalent xp based laptop will give you a far easier time, and be far more upgradeable.

Apples are designed to be simple to use, but in turn they are quite limited in application. So if you only have very basic needs it could be a good alternative.
  35. A3_Turbo

[Feb 13, 2007]
    Cheers for the offer mate but im really set on a laptop, I've been looking at dells quite a bit but theres some of you saying dont some of you saying do.

I dont want an amzing machine just something to use Wifi on surf the net and burn/download some music.

You think the dell would be up for that?

Jason

Oh yeah and thanks for all the replies guys!
  36. DIPS_A4

DIPS_A4 SEAT LEON CUPRA R (225)

37. A3_Turbo

[Feb 13, 2007]
    Yeah bloke at work was ranting on about alienware laptops, bit pricey though,

Still looks fantastic though!

Jason
  38. DIPS_A4

DIPS_A4 SEAT LEON CUPRA R (225)

[Feb 13, 2007]
    yeah my mate at uni had 1, they quite bulky and heavy but they run all games no problems. try this place as well got a laptop off them quite good offers http://www.meshcomputers.com.
  39. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Feb 13, 2007]
    A dell would do what you need, to be honest so would almost any laptop.

If you're gonna spend 500 then just look for the biggest numbers lol, and if you can get it a dedicated graphics card would be good

if you wanna spend as little as possible then make sure you're getting at least an 80gb hard drive, 512mb of ddr2 and a dvd-writer. All should be well
  40. recomdos

recomdos Member

[Feb 13, 2007]

yip - I'd second that. Apple really have pulled there fingers out with their new kit. OSX is a great OS too. Plug and play quite literally for heaps of stuff - it just works.

I worked with these for a while and at first was like every PC user, having worked with them I am torn between what to get next. Apple, yes more pricey, yet much simpler to use, and fun. PC's much easier to upgrade and more stuff available. I know the thread in question is not based on PC or Mac, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 pence when I read this post :)

If anyone was to get a Mac, ensure it's an Intel Chip not PowerPC (kind of ironic that) as you could then download bootcamp and that way you can also install Windows on it. Great for multi users/multi purpose. One thing I would recommend though is upgrade the ram, Apple always base rate models on 512mb, which although works, it's more than a bit pants. 2GB in an old PowerPC Imac G5 goes real well! :)

Lots of choice from the chaps on here anyway, aria and overclockers worth looking into, alienware also - but much more of a gamers machine and well pricey too!

Good luck in hunting around. :)
  41. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Feb 13, 2007]
    not seen you post for ages recomdos, where you been hiding