Best oil for B9 S4?

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Hey up all.

Just had the light go on. Caught me off guard actually. And usually have some in the boot but seemed to have misplaced it. Anyhoo, what's the best for the new engine please? Anyone topped up yet? Only got Halfords to hand in local area.

Cheers guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey up all.

Just had the light go on. Caught me off guard actually. And usually have some in the boot but seemed to have misplaced it. Anyhoo, what's the best for the new engine please? Anyone topped up yet? Only got Halfords to hand in local area.

Cheers guys.

Didn't Audi supply a small bottle in a zip up case . mine was under the boot liner

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Halfords is probably the most expensive place for 504.00 .

Asda , Tesco ?

Reactions: Retroman, Thundercliffe81 and RaZ A4
Didn't Audi supply a small bottle in a zip up case . mine was under the boot liner

Here is a pic of grade
9533726f656b25758db2a728fd819390.jpg

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Castrol Edge, 5w-30 but it is expensive from Halfords. Costs £10 for 1L or £33.50 for 4L if bought online from Opie Oils via their eBay shop. Halfords is £22 for 1L!!

Oh, and I think Audi sell the one posted above (with bag and paper filters and gloves) for £18. Its the exact same oil you get from Opie Oils for £10, but has the Audi Logo on the sticker and comes in a fancy bag with some paper funnels & plastic gloves for an extra £8

If you need it right now, may as well pop to Audi and get the bag and what-not included for LESS than Halfords want for just the oil.

EDIT: It's actually £18.50 from Audi, see bottom of this page....

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/audi-oil.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Car_Allowance
Topped mine up 2 weeks ago, light didn't come on, just checked the level at it was half way, so needed 1/2 Litre!

I used Shell Ultra 0-30 as that's what came from Audi with my car.
If your light came one, you'll only need a litre, so a 0-30 or 5-30 would be fine.

As the OP said he's only got a Halfords to hand with the light on, I doubt an eBay or online purchase will help.

Hey up all.

Cheers guys.

Do you do lots of short mile journeys? Mine is yet to come on and wondering if it's down to getting oil warm? How many miles have you covered?

Do you do lots of short mile journeys? Mine is yet to come on and wondering if it's down to getting oil warm? How many miles have you covered?

I've covered 8500, was on the 8k mark that I noticed the level on the MMI was half way down.

Reactions: Joetidman and Thundercliffe81
As the OP said he's only got a Halfords to hand with the light on, I doubt an eBay or online purchase will help.

Thats why I also suggested the Audi dealership. Halfords want £22 for 1L of oil, Audi themselves are £18.50 for the same 1L bottle + a bag + funnels + gloves, so may as well go there. Assuming there is one near him obviously....

Castrol Edge, 5w-30 but it is expensive from Halfords. Costs £10 for 1L or £33.50 for 4L if bought online from Opie Oils via their eBay shop. Halfords is £22 for 1L!!

Oh, and I think Audi sell the one posted above (with bag and paper filters and gloves) for £18. Its the exact same oil you get from Opie Oils for £10, but has the Audi Logo on the sticker and comes in a fancy bag with some paper funnels & plastic gloves for an extra £8

If you need it right now, may as well pop to Audi and get the bag and what-not included for LESS than Halfords want for just the oil.

EDIT: It's actually £18.50 from Audi, see bottom of this page....

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/audi-oil.html

Thanks mate but need a quick fix. They better have the 1L bottle haha. Terrible arnt they for oil?

Work is 82 mile round trip. I do that 3-5 times a week. I'm on 14k miles mate.

Topped mine up 2 weeks ago, light didn't come on, just checked the level at it was half way, so needed 1/2 Litre!

I used Shell Ultra 0-30 as that's what came from Audi with my car.
If your light came one, you'll only need a litre, so a 0-30 or 5-30 would be fine.

Mega. Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies. When I handed my old S4 back for this one, I left 2 full bottles in the boot

£36 for 4L from Halfords. Bit the bullet. Castro Edge. 5W-30.

Work is 82 mile round trip. I do that 3-5 times a week. I'm on 14k miles mate.

Ah ok, quite a few more than me then but decent runs, so the engine must just be oil needy. I will an eye on my oil levels in that case!

Ah ok, quite a few more than me then but decent runs, so the engine must just be oil needy. I will an eye on my oil levels in that case!

Yeah think it's been sooner than my old S4, I'd agree with you there.

Was told on my old b8 S4 .run it in hard and oil usage wouldn't be a problem . I guess it's just luck on the tolerances I suppose . I've only done 2000 miles since 1st March! . Haven't driven it for 6 weeks either. As I've been in plaster!! Can't even was her

Was told on my old b8 S4 .run it in hard and oil usage wouldn't be a problem . I guess it's just luck on the tolerances I suppose . I've only done 2000 miles since 1st March! . Haven't driven it for 6 weeks either. As I've been in plaster!! Can't even was her

Oh no! What happened lad? Haha. I've definitely driven my girl hard. Damn hard.

Oh no! What happened lad? Haha. I've definitely driven my girl hard. Damn hard.

Smashed my talus bone.... half a tonne of steel plate pinned me to floor . Coastguard airlift...... can't do anything by halves lol out of plaster hopefully in 3 weeks

Reactions: TripleD and Thundercliffe81
Smashed my talus bone.... half a tonne of steel plate pinned me to floor . Coastguard airlift...... can't do anything by halves lol out of plaster hopefully in 3 weeks

Flipping eck. That at work? Definitely no half measures there!

Reactions: vinvinian

Pussy, put some gaffer tape on it and carry on

Reactions: Kakatk, vinvinian and Thundercliffe81
Audi changed from 5w-30 castol edge to shell helix 0w-30 avl a while ago now. Better on start up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Audi changed from 5w-30 castol edge to shell helix 0w-30 avl a while ago now. Better on start up

******. I can probably take it back yeah? But some guys here are being provided with 5W-30? Just old stock maybe?

******. I can probably take it back yeah? But some guys here are being provided with 5W-30? Just old stock maybe?

Yep. Castrol won't hurt. Its still a 504.

Ouch that offshore or just remote for the medivac?

I would recommend opie oils, good to deal with and usually have offers, forum discounts etc.

So I got the dreaded top up oil light over the weekend. The display said to add up to 1.25L. So popped to Audi and bought a litre from them (£11.32).

So as a litre is less than 1.25L i bunged the full thing in. I checked the computer and now the level thing is right up to the maximum and I'm worried I've put too much in! Would it indicate to me if there is too much oil?

Yes it should say please drain off excess oil. If over filled in the MMI.

Reactions: Car_Allowance