1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Oil Change

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by POPS11, Dec 15, 2007.

1. POPS11

POPS11 New Member

Hi, A freind of mine suggested I empty the dirty oil out of sump....replace with clean thin oil...run the engine for a minute or 2 no longer to get rid of any remaining sludge/dirty oil...and then again empty the thin oil out of engine...change oil filter and replace with the best oil i can afford.

the car is a audi a4 1.9 tdi 130

i would like your views on this please.

thank you
  2. benw123

benw123 Moderator

This sounds like the flushing oil you use on engines which haven't had an oil change for a while. If your car has always been regularly serviced, then just replacing old for new would be fine, otherwise I can't see much benefit to changing the oil twice.

If you're doing it yourself, a tip I was given is to drive the car up the road and back again so that the engine is just barely warm. This makes the oil drain out a bit more easily; if you do it from a hot engine you may burn yourself!
  3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Yes, it's best to do the oil change when the engine is slightly warm as mentioned above, and it's recommended you use a specific PD engine oil for your engine (501.1 spec or something like that) to keep things in good shape.