Best mpg around town?

S

SteveSAS

Hi guys, calculated my wife's mpg on her 2006 TT 2.0TFSI which she uses to and from work, traffic, stop start mostly and she only getting 24mpg. Is this normal for these cars? When we looked at book figures before buying thought would be better than that.
Been using super unleaded Shell/BP. Her temp gauge is slightly lazy only getting to 90 deg in traffic and drops back under 80 deg if on motorway so could thermostat cause lower mpg?

Cheers

I would get the thermostat looked at as that will effect mpg with the engine taking longer to warm up. Book figures are a joke really. If you actually look at the driving cycle they use to work these out it's totally unrealistic compared to real day driving.

I'd be delighted to get anything above 20.00 mpg in and around town.
My overall mpg is 31.32 which given the performance of the vehicle is pretty dammed good.
(all figures are in U.K. mpg, 4.5 litres per gallon)

I would get the thermostat looked at as that will effect mpg with the engine taking longer to warm up. Book figures are a joke really. If you actually look at the driving cycle they use to work these out it's totally unrealistic compared to real day driving.
How long should it take for the temp gauge to get to 90 deg?
Mine takes about 6 miles, it might be time to get it checked?

This time of the year that sounds reasonable, a lot depends on how hard the engine is running. If you were sitting on a dual carriageway or motorway it would heat up quicker. You are busy taking a load of heat out of the engine trying to heat the cabin this time of the year.