Best method for Polytek-ing engine mounts...

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
Was going to Polytek my engine mounts like a few others have, although I've heard mixed opinions on how to go about it.

It makes sense to me to start with mounts that are already in good condition, and then poly-tek them for extra support. Although I've heard a few people say to drill out/remove as much of the rubber as possible and then polytek.

Also, what's the best grade to use and how much do I need for both mounts?

Do you mean filling the oem ones with the mixed fluid that goes hard?
If so I've done mine with 85 a stuff I believe. Very solid.
Doing it is so easy and it becomes very obvious what's needed to do to get them solid.

The rubber parts are hollow and filled with a fluid
I found it best to use water to clear it out.
There is a grill at the back that you need to break and the a rubber inside which needs removing.

When that's filled and hardened you need to fill around the outside of it.
Use masking tape to stop it pouring through and just fill it up.

Prawn has a bit of a guide.

I did one at a time
It's very easy

Mine were the first. Others have done it differently. I know what my thoughts are :laugh:

I wanted mine as stiff as possible, so I drilled the stock rubber as much as possible so the poly would occupy as large a percentage of the mount as possible.

I also broke through into the fluid chambered drained and cleaned these, and poly filled these also.

Masking up with proper masking tape is essential, and you'll need 1kg of the stuff to do a decent job.

I used polytek pt flex 85 in mine. It's very solid, but you've been in it, no dashboard shakes or rattles at all. 2 1/2 years old and still great.

Do you mean filling the oem ones with the mixed fluid that goes hard?
If so I've done mine with 85 a stuff I believe. Very solid.
Doing it is so easy and it becomes very obvious what's needed to do to get them solid.

The rubber parts are hollow and filled with a fluid
I found it best to use water to clear it out.
There is a grill at the back that you need to break and the a rubber inside which needs removing.

When that's filled and hardened you need to fill around the outside of it.
Use masking tape to stop it pouring through and just fill it up.

Prawn has a bit of a guide.

I did one at a time
It's very easy

Cheers dazza... So it doesn't really matter if you start with knackered mounts to start off with then?

Do you get much cabin vibration with the 85 stuff? I think I remember reading you need 2kg's to do both mounts?

Mine were the first. Others have done it differently. I know what my thoughts are :laugh:

I wanted mine as stiff as possible, so I drilled the stock rubber as much as possible so the poly would occupy as large a percentage of the mount as possible.

I also broke through into the fluid chambered drained and cleaned these, and poly filled these also.

Masking up with proper masking tape is essential, and you'll need 1kg of the stuff to do a decent job.

I used polytek pt flex 85 in mine. It's very solid, but you've been in it, no dashboard shakes or rattles at all. 2 1/2 years old and still great.

Ah, just seen this after my previous post! . . Thanks Prawn, I'll have a pop when I've got the head off next weekend!

It's very stiff
My cars mega empty tho so no idea if that makes it better or worse.
It does shudder on tick over
Very noticeable when you start it
But tbh I love it that way so it's hard to recommend it.
The job is really easy.
You fill the rubber with the poly
Then surround it with poly.
Take your time make sure it gets everywhere.

If I can do it anyone can

I got a pair I poly filled but never used on my car.

Tuffty! :busted cop: I think Gops is trying to sell something on the main forum!? . . .

All jokes aside, I have an A3 anyway so wouldn't fit... I think the gearbox side one is different, no?

You grass!! I was merely pointing out a fact that I haven't yet used mine.. Your thinking made you believe I was selling it :)

In that case, I suppose the real question is - Do we trust the handy work and craftsmanship of Gops!? :tearsofjoy:

Haha probably not but you can't really get it wrong.. I hope! They're really stiff!