1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST GEARBOX AUDI A3 TURBO , GOLF GTI TURBO

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by needforspeed, Sep 5, 2009.

1. needforspeed

needforspeed New Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    Upgrading gearbox to make stronger on a audi a3 2000 reg!!! as just got car upgraded with Forge intercooler , live remap, k&n airfilter,decat pipe, milex exhaust system and as the car runngin at 254bhp wanns make sure gearbox dont break so just want to renew it,as gearbox not been changed at 90,000 miles just want to make sure it still strong wots the best gearbox to get one out of a golf gti turbo or audi a3 turbo 150 bhp or they both the same just want a strong one any idears
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. zeeeebo

zeeeebo Lifes one big laugh

[Sep 5, 2009]
    i think the golf gt and turbo a3 are the same
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 5, 2009]
    Hi Lewis/audia3turbo/sexyshannon/lewigiepops. Nice to see you typing in better English this time. If you can continue like this then you will get the answers you seek. There is no way that your car is putting out 254BHP despite what you may have been told by the previous owner.

The boxes are normally not too bad on these but it sounds like you have maybe had a badly treated one. A box from a similar engined Golf, Seat or Skoda will be fine they are all much the same. If you look on the build sticker in the boot opposite the engine code will be the code for the gearbox, if you get a box with the same code it will be an exact fit
  5. simch

simch Active Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    Flip me, if that is better English, I'd hate to read the previous stuff!!

Gearboxes are the same. I have 159k miles on mine with lots more power than you, trackdays, no traction control and gets driven hard. Changed the gear oil once. Keep an eye or ear out for the dual mass flywheel rattling and the clutch slipping, save any money you have spare for one or both of them. If the gearbox aint broke, dont fix it.

You'd need a lot more power and torque indeed before you need to upgrade it for strength. But if things like driveshafts and cv joints break, replace with genuine ones as it's easy to buy crappy aftermarket ones.