1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Fuel additive ?

mattyboy199 Mar 3, 2008

1. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Well-Known Member

Whats the best stuff to raise the Octane rating. I ve heard the stuff in Halfords is a load of rubbish.

2. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

i saw a test conducted on TV where they setup a Rover K series engine under strict conditions, trying all of the 'main' additive brands...and it showed alomst no change...infact, a couple gave negative results!!

Not sure what it would do on this engine with it being turbo'd and uprated..... I am actually apprehensive about touching any additive now after seeing that

3. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

yea that was on 5th gear and they said that all additives actually gav a decrease in power by 2%! id leave the additives and just go for the optimax!

4. simch

simch Active Member

Millers CVL and CVL plus are octane boosters that do seem to work, as well as Silkolene Proboost, but be aware of the possibilities of MMT fouling when using them. (dirty plugs etc)

But you would need your car mapped to suit any increase in octane to be able to advance the timing in the midrange for more torque. On a stock engine you would see little benefit apart from perhaps some increased "smoothness".

5. S3 Dave

S3 Dave Now running on Heavy Oil

Try BP ultimate "102" if you can find it...........

6. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Well-Known Member

Millers cvl works for me with ignition timing altered with sps3 to suit,only used a couple of times a year to avoid cat damage,millers normal octane boost can be used all the time.