Best engine for allroad?

dodo0903

TDI 130SE
Reaction score
I've been playing with idea of get my self an Allroad.But which engine is the one to go for? I'm not interested in fuel economy cos I'm moving closer to work.
considering two main factors Power/Reliability

so fellas what is your suggestion?

:uhm:

New or used?

No idea on new ones but the older 2.5TDi can have oil pump issues which can toast the engine. There have been a few on here with that problem. As for petrol, I may be wrong but aren't the choices limited to 2.7T and 4.2? The V8 may be more reliable due to lack of turbos but MPG will be awful and tax will only get more expensive.

New or used?

No idea on new ones but the older 2.5TDi can have oil pump issues which can toast the engine. There have been a few on here with that problem. As for petrol, I may be wrong but aren't the choices limited to 2.7T and 4.2? The V8 may be more reliable due to lack of turbos but MPG will be awful and tax will only get more expensive.

Used one mate. I don't realy like the new one anyway :)

Should have also said that the 2.5TDI is probably the more common one anyway. I've only ever seen one 4.2 and a handful of 2.7T Allroads.

Just got the 3.0ltr diesel Allroad, used to have a manual 2.5 Allroad.
The difference is night and day... Don't even consider the 2.5, it's like a London taxi compared to the 3.0ltr

The 2,5TDI engine, in A6, Allroad and A4 is a thirsty beast, not a choice I'd go for.

2.7T doing 24mpg.....a 4.2 will do about the same, and will be much more reliable engine and a lazy drive

My 2.7T is averaging 26mpg and I think its a great engine, smooth, refined, flexible, high revving and pulls hard - plus its easily remapped up to 300bhp with no other modifications required. The 2.5tdi isn't one of Audi's best - coarse and not that economical. No brainer for me, 2.7T all the way. 4.2 is smooth and more torquey but consumption is 19-21mpg and it feels nose-heavy in the Allroad...

Engine choice depends on what you plan to do with the car and how much speed and power you want. 2.7 T with 6 speed is great car...however turbos wear out after time (any engine).When they do time to upgrade K04's!!